1:72 U-boat bunker

LSP_K2

I'm strongly, very strongly, considering a conversion of my Revell VIIC/41 kit to a U-Flak inside the bunker. I have commenced work on the hull and will post photos this weekend. The flak guns won't be a real problem as I can "liberate" them from my Schnellboote. I've always had a weakness for the flak boats.

YdPTN0.jpg

All flooding holes above water line will be opened up, the lower hull will be removed. I have the Yankee modelworks cast resin pressure hull, as well as a bunch of Eduard PE to throw at this puppy.

MknE7P.jpg

PAfsUG.jpg

Continuing on with working out my layout, I've refined the iso drawing a tad. I think this is what I'll be using as a rough template for reference, along with my various U-Boat/bunker books. Proportions still need to be tweaked.

OKYwF7.jpg

Well, I lucked out big time! Went scrounging in my garage to see if I had any plywood scraps lying about that I could use as a base for this effort. I found this (along with some larger scraps), and it's virtually the exact size I need! It measures 17-1/2" x 47". Board (at present), was cut out of square, but I"ll fix that. Some small chunks of Balsa Foam have been placed to get a feel of proportions; I'm going to need lots more!

DAMAwk.jpg

Now, this is going to be an interesting build. I'm no ship guy but I've always wanted to try and build a dio of a ship that is sitting in the dry dock. So, your resembling of the concrete wall is very convincing. BTW, what the heck is Balsa foam? I know balsa wood but never heard of foam.

Mike

On 2/12/2011 at 11:46 PM, Youngtiger1 said:

Now, this is going to be an interesting build. I'm no ship guy but I've always wanted to try and build a dio of a ship that is sitting in the dry dock. So, your resembling of the concrete wall is very convincing. BTW, what the heck is Balsa foam? I know balsa wood but never heard of foam.

Mike

Balsa Foam is a phenolic resin foam product that's used for crafts and such. It comes in different sizes and densities, and is very lightweight, easy to carve, cut, file, sand, etc.

Blick art materials

Balsa Foam

Looking good Kevin!

I will be following your process on this one!

I have the Eduard PE Set and Nautilus wooden deck so far.... But looking for some turned barrels and periscopes...

There is a set from Voyager Models that look really good - which has the barrels and a Torpedo that can be loaded into the hull... Just can't find now in there website...

On 2/13/2011 at 3:00 PM, moeggo said:

Looking good Kevin!

I will be following your process on this one!

I have the Eduard PE Set and Nautilus wooden deck so far.... But looking for some turned barrels and periscopes...

There is a set from Voyager Models that look really good - which has the barrels and a Torpedo that can be loaded into the hull... Just can't find now in there website...

CMK as well as Revell AG also make 1:72 figures and other accessories. How much of that stuff I'll actually use is still to be determined. Some figures will absolutely be included though, just to show the massive proportions of the bunker.

The pen walls are going to look great based on that sample. Do a search for a PBS series called the Sea Wolves, which gives some great shots of the pens at Lorient. You are lucky. When I did a model of U-969 for my dad, I had to use the 1/125 scale model and do the conversion to the /41. Very fiddly work, especially the twin 20s. Anyway, my dad loved it, so I guess that's all that counted.

I was wondering if you were aware that the second release of the Revell U-boat is the VIIC/41 with the wintergarten and the two twin 20mms and the 37mm mount. It might save you a lot of conversion work if you find one of them.

Sabre

On 2/13/2011 at 5:08 PM, Sabre F-86 said:

I was wondering if you were aware that the second release of the Revell U-boat is the VIIC/41 with the wintergarten and the two twin 20mms and the 37mm mount. It might save you a lot of conversion work if you find one of them.

Sabre

I'll look for the video, thanks. And I should have mentioned that I am using the Type VIIC/41 as the starting point for this effort.

Thanks again,

"In retrospect, I may have been pretty loose with the term Flak boat. This will actually be just an up-gunned Type VIIC/41, and not really a dedicated Flak boat."

I am glad that you came to that conclusion Kevin as I was wondering how to let you know without sounding like a know it all.
Didn't the "flak boats" have another deck added to the front of the conning tower with additional AAA?
J