Mind if I dock here?

WrongWay

haven't done anything water-borne since i was about 10 when i used to play Hood and Bismark in my sink with what must have been 1/100000000000 scale ships!

very cool subject, but i wonder why the wind fell out of Italeri's sails and they stopped after just 2 subjects?

my Great Uncle served on British Motor Torpedo Boats in WWII (a box of medals size of tea chest in mind's eye) and i would love Italeri to pick up where they left off with an MTB...

anyway, thanks for sharing your work - nice to see something different every now and again!

cheers

Nick

Thanks again everyone! The PT is a stunning success. It handles very nicely and has no control issues. I did have to turn the power down to 46% though. At 100% power it will come out of the water. :rolleyes: 46% power gives a most realistic speed. The video came out like crap I'm afraid and I'm still working on it. Might have to reshoot it. I used a 5000 NIMH cell for the camera run which is slightly too heavy for the boat. A 5000 NIMH pack weighs as much as two 1500 NIMH packs. 1500 NIMH gave me over fifteen minutes of run time so I'll probably stick with that or a 2500 NIMH pack.

IMG_2663lsp.jpg

Leaving port.

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

haven't done anything water-borne since i was about 10 when i used to play Hood and Bismark in my sink with what must have been 1/100000000000 scale ships!

very cool subject, but i wonder why the wind fell out of Italeri's sails and they stopped after just 2 subjects?

my Great Uncle served on British Motor Torpedo Boats in WWII (a box of medals size of tea chest in mind's eye) and i would love Italeri to pick up where they left off with an MTB...

anyway, thanks for sharing your work - nice to see something different every now and again!

cheers

Nick

They are supposed to be working on an Italian torpedo boat the last time I checked. We have the German and American boats and now an Italian boat so they may keep going yet. I want to see a Japanese attack boat made too. I've already got my sights on the German S boat. :rolleyes:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php...mp;save_search=

wow my heart skipped a beat when i saw that!

now if ONLY i had taken model-related notes and voice recordings when my Great Uncle lived with us for a couple of years when i was small (about 9 or 10 i think)...sadly he passed away 15yrs or so ago

i am on a similar trail to try to find more information about the Churchill (i presume given he was 9 RTR) tanks he drove in normandy, so perhaps i should give the Senior Service a buzz and see what they hold on record for WWII personnel etc

thanks again

nick

Oh thats terrable :hmmm: Guess you'll have to try and try again!Looking really cool and you get to play with it too!Keep it coming....Harv :thumbsup:

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it! :lol: Didn't get a chance this weekend but there's always the next. I've got some new batteries to test out as well.

• 2 months later...

Now that my Hurri is done I'm back on the boat! The R/C conversion is complete so now it's down to the detailed bit.

IMG_5576.jpg

Not sure how much etch I'll actually use as it's got to take some punishment. We shall see.

IMG_5567.jpg

I've picked up some of the crew as well.

WSM35630.jpg

WSM35628.jpg

Here is a short clip of the rudder assembly in action. I'm going to try and squeeze in another test run before winter sets in so I should have another video later.

th_PT-596.jpg

Got in a test run today! The weather was nice for about one minute and then turned into a gale. :lol: How typical!

I had to shoot the video and pilot at the same time so it looks really eratic. It actually handles quite nicely and is very fast. I've turned the throttle down to 46% power to give it a more realistic speed. AT 100% power it looks more like an offshore race boat which is not what I want.

And here is some current construction.

I've got the hull channels block sanded and sealed now. These are provided in three pieces per side. You can see some of the brass fittings for the various bilge drains too.

IMG_5678.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

The towing mount has also been added.

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5685.jpg

Dozens of holes have been drilled for the deck fittings. The pilot holes are already provided.

IMG_5686.jpg

These are the mufflers for the three Packard V-12 engines. At low rpm the engines would run through the mufflers. At high rpm shutters open and allow the exhaust to run straight through. Imagine the sound from that!

IMG_5730.jpg

These mufflers are hollow from behind and it can bee seen so I'm skinning them in plastic card. It might look rough here but believe me they will be smooth once painted. For added security they will be pinned in addition to being glued.

IMG_5725.jpg

For some reason Italeri chose to make these huge scoops instead of a simple locator hole so I will have to fill these in with plastic card. Lots of work to do.

IMG_5710.jpg

Hi Nick,

Torpedoboats at Bataan?

I would need to build an early boat for that one. :lol: I'm building PT 596 a late war Elco 80 with the Ratheon SO radome and all the late armaments. This gives me and idea though! Wouldn't be that hard to build an early boat. A very possible project for later me thinks. :hmmm:

Cheers,

Don

Expendable.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been plagued by backordered supplies on this project. Seems like all my projects start out like this. :lol: Anyway I finally got a ship notice today so as soon as UPS gets here I can really tear into this one. Here is where I am at the moment.

The deck has been joined to the hull and sealed with window caulk to eliminate any leaks from waves. I now declare this vessel unsinkable! ;)

IMG_6157.jpg

Gun mounts have been added. The railing is not glued down yet is just on for test fitting.

IMG_6170.jpg

I decided to put the engine cooling intake to work by making it functional. A hole was cut out and the duct will now cool the electric motor.

IMG_6185.jpg

IMG_6189.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

I've got a lot of work to do to the life boats. The molded on details will be replaced by photo etch parts and some scratch bits I have planned.

IMG_6172.jpg

Thinking about carving some oars from balsa and adding real rope around this life raft.

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

I added this missing step to the rear of the boat from balsa wood. Still lots of work to do back here.

IMG_6216.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

The paint scheme will be Measure 31 hard edge camo.

Measure-31.jpg