HobbyZone Builder's Notes

HobbyZoneUSA

Having had & used mine for over a year, I'd say:

The 3 drawer units are better value than the 6 drawer units. They are far more flexible & are cheaper. Don't glue the interior spacers in place, move the as necessary.

The corner draw units are fairly pricey. Buy the corner shelf units instead, they are cheaper. Leave out the little shelf inside & you've quite a big storage area.

The paper towel holder is not great. Only a small paper towel fits & it doesn't seem a good use of space. 

The "WIP" units are a good storage area for largish bits. They are kept clean & you can see exactly what's in there.

The free-standing brush & tool holder is great. Holds a ton of stuff & can follow you around the bench.

The shelf-racks are flexible, but lack depth for larger items. 

Having had & used mine for over a year, I'd say:

The 3 drawer units are better value than the 6 drawer units. They are far more flexible & are cheaper. Don't glue the interior spacers in place, move the as necessary.

The corner draw units are fairly pricey. Buy the corner shelf units instead, they are cheaper. Leave out the little shelf inside & you've quite a big storage area.

The paper towel holder is not great. Only a small paper towel fits & it doesn't seem a good use of space. 

The "WIP" units are a good storage area for largish bits. They are kept clean & you can see exactly what's in there.

The free-standing brush & tool holder is great. Holds a ton of stuff & can follow you around the bench.

The shelf-racks are flexible, but lack depth for larger items. 

Hi Dean,

The paper towel holder is designed for the European rolls and the only way I could get a typical US roll in there was to leave out the hanger bar and brackets, plus remove part of the roll until the diameter is right. Not the best solution but it does get the bloody thing off the bench.

As for the three-drawer units, I think you mean the OM02a three-drawer units and I use mine quite a bit. The only problem with those is depth and that is solved with the OM02b two-drawer units.

The big limit for HobbyZone modules is the current form factor - roughly 12 inch width, six inch depth and height. I am hoping they'll consider a wider form factor. Since they made the double high (12 inch high) OM10 WIP module, I have suggested a double-wide design for the two and three-drawer units so we can have larger drawers for the larger tools that won't fit into the current drawers.

The shelf modules (OM05u and OM06u) are designed for the odd-shaped bottles but as you say, they lack the depth to handle larger bottles like thinners, etc. For that purpose, we have the OM13 Hutch Module which I use to store the bottles that won't fit on the racks.

Good feedback, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the PN02 (Large Brush and Tool Holder), the smallest diameter holes that go across the front are just a wee bit too small for the shank of a standard Dremel bit (3mm vs. 1/8 inch). It's a pain to open them up after the unit is assembled...

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya - just received my first units - for assembly can you recommend the type of clamps that are needed? I do not have any so would need to find some - thankya!

Sorry for the delayed response. When I first started building mine, I had acquired clamps thinking these were necessary and I've even read where some use nails to assemble these as well. Now with over a year of use on my modules, I can say without reservation that clamps are not needed. I use a good wood glue like Gorilla to assemble mine and a wet paper towel to wipe away any excess that oozes out of the seams. The result has been rock solid with no failures to date.

On the PN02 (Large Brush and Tool Holder), the smallest diameter holes that go across the front are just a wee bit too small for the shank of a standard Dremel bit (3mm vs. 1/8 inch). It's a pain to open them up after the unit is assembled...

The holes can be used for Dremel bits, but as you say, the holes are too small. I use my holes to hold those clips that are mounted to the end of bamboo/wood rods. The clips hold small parts for painting and drying and the rods fit into those holes perfectly.