Italeri RAAF Mirage IIIO. FINISHED

ericg

Onto the stencil data. An issue with the kit markings was starting to get to the stage where it had to be dealt with. The RAAF used yellow aircraft servicing markings on the Mirages and the kit had these in orange. The HPM decal sheet had some of the markings but they were very small and didn't stand out enough due to being a bit too translucent. Of course, I could have just chucked on the kit ones but I knew that I wouldn't be happy with them. I wanted to try and push my mask cutter to the limits of how small it could go and decided to design my own masks for these important details.

Here is a good example of the HPM decals. It just didn't look right.

8D3AC17E-36B9-4A69-BA6A-1974C821DA1C_zps

I made up a new marking in the software and cut some masks. Much better.

05D0D8A4-A540-4E78-8D2C-BE7F464F7B96_zps

FE7BEE9B-1517-4089-AC1D-A07364FE0D2B_zps

One of the best features of the software that comes with the cutter is the ability to import a picture, allowing you to trace over an element of it to make a mask.

Here a small marking that I found on one of the pictures. Notice how I have traced around the yellow marking with a red line. This will become the line that the cutter uses.

IMG_6206_zpseg1zz70l.jpg

Sprayed, it looks good.

IMG_6226_zps3rdztlua.jpg

Some more markings, taken from some jpg's that I found on the net. These are quite large on the screen but shrink down to any size required, by clicking and dragging the box to the exact size required.

IMG_6207_zpsg4rns8fj.jpg

IMG_6208_zps2uvjdfaf.jpg

IMG_6209_zpssr9d1vja.jpg

For markings that I couldn't find any suitable pictures of, I just made them up using shapes in the software. Holding shift down when drawing an ellipse or rectangle will make them a circle or a square.

IMG_6212_zpsusyooc8u.jpg

By selecting all of the shapes drawn and then using the `weld' function, the software combines all of the shapes together.

IMG_6213_zpshrivdwdn.jpg

Once the yellow was painted, I made up the small cross shape and sprayed it over the marking.

IMG_6215_zpsbtdfsnxs.jpg

The small marking on the nose was initially the HPM decal. Way too small and not really noticeable.

IMG_6217_zpsfef5o2ob.jpg

Masked and painted. Much better.

IMG_6228_zpscjyl8osj.jpg

The underside of the model has 11 yellow markings that i had to mask and spray.

IMG_6229_zpsnp3i7t1b.jpg

I have made up a file that anyone is welcome to (just PM me your email) that contains all of the masks that I have used so far on the model.

IMG_6234_zps3exj6prx.jpg

Some more work on the ejection seat with the addition of the last lap belt.

IMG_6236_zpsoqdbinmb.jpg

One of the biggest things that has been bugging me about the HPM 2 OCU fin marking is the fact that the black triangle goes all of the way to the tip of the decal. The shade of yellow used wasn't doing it for me either!

IMG_6218_zpstk0cvtah.jpg

I have been toying with the idea of changing it ever since I applied the decal and have been holding off, as the list of things that could go wrong with modifying it is as long as your arm and a mistake could prove to be disastrous. The clock is ticking on this build as it has to be ready for Model Expo, which is just over a month away and I have a couple of other models that also require completion before then. With a certain amount of trepidation, I set forth to change the decal into something that matched my references of Sean's jet a bit closer. A hell of a risk to take, but the reward if I managed to pull it off outweighed the danger of messing around with a decal that was happily sitting in its place on the model!

I made up 2 seperate masks, one being the new shape of the black portion of the marking, and a circle to cover the tigers head.

The new shape of the black triangle can be seen by the mask laid over it.

IMG_6220_zpsb2vmsfsj.jpg

All ready for paint, wish me luck.... Quite obviously, sticking masking tape over decals is not for the feint hearted!

IMG_6221_zpskexb8nve.jpg

First coat of yellow. No turning back now.

IMG_6222_zps9dohzjho.jpg

Done. Most pleased!

IMG_6233_zpsw5nnilgx.jpg

I received in the mail an FCI patch from Sean today, which will form part of the base that this model will sit on.

IMG_6225_zpsxhr7afav.jpg

Edited by ericg

Talking about the base that the model will sit on, I received a couple of images from Sean (actually I received quite a few) that could be suitable. His modesty is preventing him from posting them, but I feel that there may be a story or two inbound to accompany them.

I am leaning towards this one at this stage.

thumbnail_Mircrsegradsmall_zps3vfklcfn.j

Another cracker. I would have liked to have depicted a Mirage with Sean's name on it as per this pic but we felt it would be better to do his 2 OCU FCI course graduation flight aircraft.

thumbnail_Ttail_A312crop_zpsw7kpr4pp.jpg

Edited by ericg

Eric, a note on the stencilling. Eduard make PE stencils for the F-4, F-16, F-15 and F/A-18C. I've got them all and you can normally find the right size and logo in them. Might be a useless tip now you've got your stencils set up however! 

'Done. Most pleased!'

ME TOO!

Congratulations on your Western Australian Scale Model Expo experience.  What is the machined piece on the US Navy Subject trophy?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

'Done. Most pleased!'

ME TOO!

Congratulations on your Western Australian Scale Model Expo experience.  What is the machined piece on the US Navy Subject trophy?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

It is the end of a tailhook from an A-7 Corsair and is awarded to the best US Navy subject. Unfortunately it wasn't allowed to leave the state and I probably wouldn't have been able to fit it in my case anyway as it is very heavy and my case was almost maxed out. Carry on was not going to work either as I had my hands full of 7 models in 2 boxes and couldn't have possibly juggeled anything else!

7B947FBC-88EA-4D39-95A8-3A475E66C5BF_zps

Looking Stunning Eric masterful work on the 2 OCU fin Flash.

The RAAF paints names on Fighters from time to time. The first aeroplane I had my name on was A3-12 at 77Sqn. Now Eric's master piece depicts A3-13 this was the aeroplane I flew on my final ride or graduation ride "The Dawn Strike" at the completion of my Fighter Combat Instructors  (FCI) course many years later.

a312sml_zpswobkb3em.jpg

Now these two aeroplanes A3-12 and A3-13 are linked ... kind of Freudian really. At the time A3-12 had my name painted on it it had just received a replacement wing from none other than A3-13 so it was A3-12 1/2. The Mirage was having fatigue issues at the time and some wing swapping was going on. A3-13 subsequently received two completely new wings. Little did I know then that A3-13 was to be a very special aeroplane to me. It was the aeroplane I flew at the end of FCI course ... this course the most intensive course in Aviation I have ever done ! .... some stories there too :)

As to A3-13 she is still alive and well in Pakistan

Paka313_zpsthumdvka.jpg

Edited by TTail

Eric, super mask work.  I'm a long way from being able to do a Mirage ... still loads of work to go on the hornet, then thinking about a huge 1/48 project ... but one day I reckon I'll be in touch for those masks, given what a masking tragic I am!

Cheers
Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Moving right along with this build. I started the weathering process. I consider the black basing method only part of the process and use it as a base for further effects on the model. I lightly post shaded the panel lines with a very thin coat of Smoke

IMG_6436_zpsynhx0gly.jpg

Next up was the panel line wash. As ost of the markings have been painted on, there is no need for a clear coat. I prefer to apply washes over a non glossy surface as it is easier to get a stained effect if required. I used the excellent AK Interactive enamel washes, which are easily removed and blended with a cotton bud dipped in white spirits. I used Neutral grey on the outer panel lines and wings and Exhaust wash on the inner panel lines and fuselage. This has enabled me to give a grimy depiction where hydraulic fluid and oil would have accumulated close to the undercarriage etc.

IMG_6437_zps0qzfna8x.jpg

The effect that I was after. Notice how there is a brown tint/staining to the fuselage where the excess wash has been rubbed into it. T|his is the effect that I am after and will provide a base for further streaking with artists oils.

IMG_6448_zps14vxljqn.jpg

IMG_6450_zpsfiqtaoxv.jpg

I have attached the undercarriage to the model now, paying particular attention to the inner lean of each of the main legs.

IMG_6445_zpsohepg6ld.jpg

IMG_6447_zpstofrvlx2.jpg