RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair x 2

LDSmodeller

Hi all

My entry into this Group Build. Note any photos on here of actual aircraft are RNZAF original ownership

I have had for a number of years these two kits with the intent on building them as RNZAF aircraft.

They are not to the Tamiya model technology, but look like a Corsair notwith standing.

The two boxings

FILE0099%20copy_zpsitcod63m.jpg

FILE0100%20copy_zpsiadux12y.jpg

RNZAF Corsairs carried the serial numbers beginning as follows:

F4U-1A - NZ52xx - NZ53xx

F4U-1D - NZ54xx - NZ55xx

FG-1D - NZ56xx

I plan to build one as NZ5277, one of the Angry Duck Corsairs as on these Montex Masks. This F4U-1 is one that remained in the US Navy 4 tone scheme durings its operational life. The so called "Mission" Markings under the sliding canopy section rail are totally Bogus - more on that later.

FILE0113%20copy_zpsnagxk4ot.jpg

The second build is NZ5350. This aircraft like NZ5277 was delivered in US Navy 4 tone, but at some point durings its operational life, it was given an upper repaint of Glossy Sea Blue, with the undersides still in Insignia White,  the lower wing outer panels still in Intermediate Blue, as in this photo from my personal collection Note the name under the number 50 on the cowling is 

"Struggle Buggy"

FILE0111%20copy_zpsdhfjdp5l.jpg

If you look toward the end of the line up of those RNZAF Corsairs, you will note another Corsair with a repaint, here is a close up showing the "Repaint" again from my personal collection.

F4U%20Struggle%20Buggy%20copy_zpsszdul2a

Interestingly  this photo of USMC Corsair shows a repaint also, not just a Kiwi thing

USMC%20or%20USN%20Overpaints1_zpsubpqcmz

In the next excerpt, I will give an overview of RNZAF Operations in the South Pacific which are important to understand the what, why, where and whens, especially with RNZAF aircraft like the Corsair. There is alot of absolute rubbish on the net about RNZAF Corsairs. All I'll say is that not everything on the net about RNZAF Corsair is true and not all information about the RNZAF is on the web - still in these funny things called books :whistle: :)

FILE0117%20copy_zpsx3vskpfp.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Alan

Hi All,

This is pretty good for me two post on my build in a matter of hours :popcorn:

New Zealands war and more the RNZAF and RZN in the Pacific, began September 3 1939 along with Australia against Germany

By the end of 1941 blood had been shed, lives lost and so forth.

New Zealand and Australia's war with Japan began just after Midnight Dec 8th 1941, when Japanese forces attacked British and Commonwealth forces in Malaya/Singapore. Roughly a hour before Japanes forces attacked  Pearl Harbour across the International date Line December 7 1941.

War came to New Zealanders in Singapore. Some had already seen battle in Europe with the likes of 488 Squadrons CO and his 2IC.

488 Squadron (The RNZAF's first own fighter squadron) formed at Rongotai (Near Wellington) 1 September 1941. 488 were in Singapore by October 1941, and in battle by December. The fight for Singapore was hard, notable Kiwi's being Geoff Fisken who became ace and would eventually become the leading Commonwealth ace in the Pacific.

After the fall of Malaya/Singapore, those Kiwi's who did not become prisoner of war, landed back in New Zealand, March 1942.

The RNZAF wasted no time in using those with experience to form new Squadrons who would train others to take the fight to Japan. Early 1942, 14(F) Squadron was formed with new Curtiss P40E-1's supplied from an RAF order ex USA, to train new pilots.

14%20Sqn%20P40%20copy_zpszxqegfpi.jpg

Later in October 1942,  RNZAF 15 Squadron who had trained, on the above P40E-1's, travelled to Tonga to take over P 40E-1's that the USAAF 68th PS had been flying. The aircraft were in bad shape, but Kiwi ingenuity and No.8 wire know how, had them flying again. Soon this squadron would transit to Guadacanal to fight.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm13/oldcrowfilms/img219.jpg

It's of note that these aircraft were in the same range of Serial numbers as the New Zealand based P40E-1's and in RAF Temperate Land Scheme as in these swatches below, albeit with US markings

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Yff6LKWML1VS00MVFaR04ycjg/view?usp=sharing

It's important to Note that in 1942 after talks between the New Zealand and US goverments, the RNZAF was attached to the US Navy Pacific Command.

RNZAF units were based on the same airstrips as their US Navy/Marine Counterparts.

In 1943 the RNZAF with new aircraft P 40K's M's and N's, took the fight to the Japanese, Rabaul being a key objective. RNZAF Pilots flying the Curtiss P40 racked up 99 kills not out against the Japanese.

Because of the Success of the RNZAF, the US goveremnet decided to upgrade its fighter units with the Vought F4U Corsair.

In 1944 the first F4U-1A's arrived both in the Forward theatres and also in New Zealand to train pilots.

This  photo from my collection shows brand new F4U-1As being readied by RNZAF SU's (Servicing Units) at Espitito Santos

FILE0157%20copy_zps6k7se3sp.jpg

It's important to note that the RNZAF received the following

F4U-1A in US Navy 4 tone - some were repainted in overall Glossy Sea Blue by the SU's prior to issue to squadrons

F4U-1D also in US Navy 4 tone

F4U-1D in overall Glossy Sea Blue

FG-1D in overall Glossy Sea Blue - note these were received late 1944

Colours and markings I'll cover as I get to them in my build

At the end of hostilities with Japan, the surviving Corsairs were flown home to New Zealand and placed in open storage at RNZAF Rukuhia (now Hamilton Airport).

In 1946, 24 of the best FG-1D's were taken, refurbished, to go to join the British J Force in the Occuaption of Japan - again from my collection FG-1's at Hobsonville 1946 (RNZAF base where I grew up) prior to departure to Japan.

FILE0110%20copy_zpsinxc7ra8.jpg

Next the modelling begins

Thanks for looking

Alan

Edited by LDSmodeller

Hi All

Build time :tumble:

The Revell instructions are pretty basic, but thats ok

FILE0105%20copy_zpsv3cvwxfq.jpg

Some areas to look at to improve and I don't plan on AM stuff

Engine gear/reduction housing needs changing as it is the wrong type for the F4U-1A

FILE0103%20copy.1jpg_zpsrku9xpdj.jpg

The Cockpit is more suited to a F4U-4, so need to rebuild the cockpit

FILE0104%20copy.1jpg_zpst5mcdon4.jpg

I don't like the look of the exhaust area - need to address

FILE0108%20copy%201_zpslb8wnnip.jpg

The Cowling on one needs fixing due to short shot, and repalce the Cowling gills

FILE0107%20copy%201_zpsfjr8z5oa.jpg

Need to lenghten the rear wheel oleo to suit either field upgrade, or factory upgrade

FILE0106%20copy.1%20jpg_zpsbszwvsjq.jpg

A start on the Gear housing, before and after

FILE0134%20copy_zpsd69c9p75.jpg

The inner section of the ousing and how I built up the shape

FILE0137%20COPY_zps2pzxrbc4.jpg

Had to carve up the housing facing to fit the revised section

FILE0131%20COPY_zps6rx1ikuz.jpg

the newer engine

FILE0145%20copy_zps4iasjofv.jpg

Removed at least one Cowlings flaps - will need to form and fit new ones - repaird the divit in cowling also

FILE0136%20copy_zpsjrj5lhx4.jpg

Drilled and cut out the exhaust area for new ones

FILE0150%20copy_zpstz8ajdnp.jpg

Thats all for tonight, more in the next few days :)

Thanks for looking

Alan

Edited by LDSmodeller

Very nice double build.

Thanks also for the information on the RNZAF Corsairs. I've got the same Montex mask set but plan to use it for building the one that was made from two separate fuselages.

If you want a Montex resin exhaust section for your kit, let me know. It's made for the Revell kits and I'm using the Tamiya ones for my build so won't need it.

Carl

• 1 month later...

One of the reasons i truly enjoy group builds is the history lessons that go along with the builds. Always learning history and model skills. Looking forward to the twin builds and more history, Alan!!

Don