1/32nd Monogram Piper PA-20 Tri-Pacer

Radders

I can't remember when I got this, but I can remember how. Kingkit was holding an 'open evening' at their unit, and with me being so close Andy asked if i wanted to help out, sure... no problem. I went over there after work, mad a cuppa etc and he said "these boxes people can route through, just make an offer on kits... they all have bits missing etc!" So me being me, I routed through and gave myself first dibs... I picked up a Frog 1/72nd Herald, Airfix 1/72nd Stirling, Airfix 1/144th 727, Frog 1/96th Britannia and this a 1/32nd Monogram Tri-Pacer. The best bit, I only paid £10 for all of them, so £2.00 each. All because they had their instructions missing and no boxes (this was just in a bag taped up). Bargain.

To be honest, I never even knew this kit existed until then, but as my dad's friend owns/owned one (not sure if he sold), and having been up close to it many times, I'm quite fond of Tri-Pacers.

Nice little kit, unsure on final scheme... the decals are looking a bit rough so I will most likely do something basic, maybe British registered in a nice glossy scheme.

According to Scalemates, this kit was first issued in 1957!

30442355500_3c8c0fc66a_o.jpg

30107400613_18bcdf2863_o.jpg

Edited by Radders

Guest Peterpools

Radders

Oh baby, awesome choice.

Back in the day, I was a proud owner of a PA22-108 Piper Colt which was the little brother of the Tri-Pacer. Will be following with very fond memories

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Cool choice, Radders! Not a lot happening in our Kit Database around this kit:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1313

Looks like yours might be this release, however:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1312

Can I use your photos in the database?

Kev

Great !

If you need a scan of the instructions or the decal sheet, I can do it with the kit I have in my stash.

Hubert

That would be great thanks!

Cool choice, Radders! Not a lot happening in our Kit Database around this kit:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1313

Looks like yours might be this release, however:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1312

Can I use your photos in the database?

Kev

If they are of use, then feel free! :) Shame I have no box..

Guest Peterpools

Ernie

Impossible, miss this build. I can smell a Tri Pacer or Colt a mile away. To these old eye, there isn't a pudgy wing Piper any more beautiful. And in the case of the Colt, pull the power back, roll the ailerons one way and step on the opposite rudder and you could slip that baby into the shortest and tightest airports. Who needed flaps: just pull the power back and she would drop like a rock. Cruise all day on a measly 6 gph of 80/87 (of course, when was the last time that avgas was made?). Just music to my ears. In a beauty contest the Colt and a C-46 would most likely be a tie. Beauties they are not but real airplanes they surely are.

I'm following with wonderful memories ..

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Clunkmeister

Peter, you sure know how to tickle the flying bug as well. You're right, the old Pipers had built in speedbrakes: roll into the wind and stand on the opposite rudder. Control track by varying foot pressure.

The 46 slipped just as well with that huge slab fuselage, but you had to not get carried away, it came down like a stone and stopping the plummet of 45,000 lbs without a shot of power takes time and space.

I never did master the art of entry and exit from a Piper. Not as bad as a Cub, but I still seemed to more often than not get a foot caught somewhere and look like an uncoordinated moron.

Guest Peterpools

Ernie

How true; in my Colt, a bit early on the flar, cheat in a tinge of thottle, keep one eye on the ASI and she settled down smooth as silk,

right on the money, Colts and Tri Pacers required a bit of fancy footwork in making graceful entries and exits' small doors, and the wing strut guarding the way in! Of course back then, being over weight wasn't a problem, it was just the opposit and I had the dance choreographed perfectly. Now, where it that starter button? Now the Cub was something else and it sure was easier working your way into the rear seat as compared to the front seat. Nothing like sitting on canvas. Oh the memories and joy.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools