Two seater Bf109G-12 trainer

Zero77

Hello !

20160731_183511_zpsnxbaeuyq.jpg

At the moment i try to finish the most old builds possible. This one has not been started a very longtime ago (last spring), but now it's done, too.

It the nice Revell G-6 kit, with the Alleycat resin G-12 conversion, the G-6 correcting and detailing set (with propeller, exhausts, ailerons...) and a G-4 set (to get the G-4 engine cowling and early wheels). In fact i dont really know if the aircraft i'm depicting was really based on a G-4, but too bad. Anyway, there is only one picture available as far as know.

The build was very fun and without any major difficulties. Fitting the canopies was not very easy, but doable. The fuselage conversion needed a few adjustments but with some patience and some putty, it worked like a charm. The front cockpit is OOB and the rear one is what is inside the Alleycat conversion without any major modification, as it seemed acurate to me (at least with the very few pictures available). The only modification i did were the rear front office (i reshaped the upper instrument box) and the rear bulkhead as this part was not acurate in my opinion, though. Otherwise, i just added two RB seat belts sets, and an Aires gunsight. For the canopies i added some brass sheet rectangle to make the hinges and scratch built the small rods.

Regarding the paintjob, the RLM76 was painted with AK paint. It was the first time i used them, and i was a bit surprised, and not really happy with it. I was absolutely unable to spray small details (for the motling) as i can do without any problem with the gunze paints i'm used to. I must be me as many of LSP members here use the AK paint and are very happy with it. For the RLM74 and 75, i used my usual Gunze paints, as the colors seemed better to me, and at least i could control the spray. :)

Every marking were painted with custom masks. The markings for this specific aircraft were included in the Alleycat set, but the 512 was supplied in yellow and black or white and red.

The final process was the weathering. I used various AK and Mig washes and filters, and added some black pigments around the exhaust staining and some dust on the belly and wheels.

I know my choice for the red lower engine cowling may be a bit surprising and appear weird as it's very unusual in the Luftwaffe schemes. But this profile doesn't seem so incoherent when one changes it in B&W and compares it with the period picture. It may be fictionnal, it may be not. Nobody knows. And it was a training unit, so everything is possible. Anyway, i think these colors are a nice change in the usual LW schemes.

2_181.jpg

512-2_zpspxtzlqey.jpg

2_181NetB_zpshkwzw6no.jpg

To sum up, it was a funny build, sometimes a bit longer (longer than a usual Bf109 build), but very interesting. I really love the look of the 109 with that long greenhouse lookalike canopy. A very nice addition in a Bf109 collection. :)

Here is the link to the WIP thread : http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61745

Hope you like it !

20160731_184307_zps31plhta0.jpg

20160731_184321_zpsdfjkuyhk.jpg

20160731_184342_zpssiwwiqyd.jpg

20160731_184350_zpsufr7etgl.jpg

20160731_184403_zpswn0bhbyv.jpg

20160731_184414_zps5hgijrdb.jpg

The final process was the weathering. I used various AK and Mig washes and filters, and added some black pigments around the exhaust staining and some dust on the belly and wheels.

Edited by Zero77

It's not very noticeable but i noticed in the pictures that i forgot to remove the kitchen towels i put inside the radiator fairings to mask the radiators.... oups !

You shouldn't have said that, probably nobody noticed, ...... :hmmm: :wicked:

Great looking two seater, i like it!!

Beautiful build!! And a very unique subject! I might add one more thing you forgot, the portside wingtip pitot tube is missing. :)

Indeed !!! I totally forgot it... I will add it this evening. I should have realized it when i put the model besides my other Bf109 as the pitot is exactly the kind of small parts i take a lot of care to not break it during manipulations.

Hi 

Wooow Nicolas , it's a very nice 109 , I like this unusual version , I have the other Alleycat's conversion  in a corner of my stash , and your build will be helpful  when the time  comes  . great job , nice pictures too . i like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alain