1/48 SWS F-4J - VMFA-232 "Red Devils" 1972

DirkE

So here the parts for the engines. The F-4J was powered by a pair of J79-GE-10 engines. I included a photo (copyright not known) of a J79- GE-2. You can see what can be added to the kits engine.

ZM thought so far, that you can build a display stand for one engine. Therefore there is the E-sprue, where you can cut out the parts.

IMG_6687_zpsurezcvhg.jpg

IMG_6688_zpspjupxiii.jpg

IMG_6689_zpsxufisysa.jpg

IMG_6690_zpshzux5juq.jpg

IMG_6691_zpsqydlxlfn.jpg

IMG_6692_zpsdlb0z1bc.jpg

IMG_6693_zpserssr2v4.jpg

IMG_6694_zpsxetnmenk.jpg

IMG_6695_zpsxozvvbpq.jpg

6933339_zpsht2pnphu.jpg

This is the cockpit enhanced with some details ZM didn´t provide with the kit.

What ZM did, was to supply two sets of instrument panels and starboard side panels for the RIO cockpit. So you either build a J version before AFC-506 (Airframes change) or after. The instructions only show you how to build the pre AFC-506 version. (Bureau numbers 158355 upwards, are after AFC-506 with the controller mounted in the center.

Now since I had no fun to scratch the nice details away ZM put on the instrument panels and on the other side I had no joy to paint it with a brush (yep, call me lazy) I used instead the decals ZM provided. They are from cartograph and are only setting with a decal setter. I used my 8 year old bottle Mr. Mark Softer. A layer matt varnish and a bit dry brushing did the rest. Eduard add on set for the Academy F-4J has those pre-printed panels. I only used the ones for the starbord RIO cockpit. Here for the circuit breaker panel.

I also used those rails that are left and right in the front cockpit from the Eduard set. They are still unpainted, so that you can better them.

I will add some more wires for the ip of the RIO. But later.

IMG_6760_zpsh63cmbjx.jpg

IMG_6761_zpskjexsdjg.jpg

IMG_6770_zpsbkfhxfkq.jpgIMG_6775_zpspznjgrgv.jpg

IMG_6778_zpsfozwasdq.jpg

IMG_6783_zpsa49srbzt.jpg

That's most impressive.  I'm curious how those cockpit sills with all the detail fit into the fuselage halves.  Also, is there all the pushrod detail underneath them (canopy latch actuators)??

Thx Jennings.

The cockpit sills do fit into the halves...but only after I had to sand away approx 2mm of the cockpit side. Idk why it didn´t fit, but now it does without a gap. The latch actuators are installed. But they dont come with the kit. They are from the Eduard set #49712 (F-4J Interior SA Detail Set for the Academy kit).

ok, fuselage halfes are glued together. No further issues.

I thought about using the Eduard F-J/S radar 1/48 (item # 648067 for the Hasegawa kit). But after comparing the ZM and the Eduard nose (which indeed has nice details)...and using a scaled down plan, thats inside the book from Daco Publications "Uncovering the F-4 Q/B/J/N/S", I saw that the Eduard nose is just wrong. So, no radar for the Phantom. here the photos.

IMG_6888_zpsrn3fprrx.jpg

IMG_6885_zps4rg3kvrq.jpg

here the ZM nose. Looking good.

IMG_6883_zpsu3gnlzjf.jpg

here Eduards version...freestyle....

IMG_6882_zpsfkybons0.jpg

plan from this book

5840_0_DCB004_zpsyqsgpleb.jpg

Dirk

Now, since I want to display the radar on the I dedided to copy the correct shape of the ZM nose and transfer it on the droopy nose from Eduard. Therefore I made a mold with the ZM nose, inserted the Eduard nose and filled the mold up with resin (but just on the outside). Now I have the correct shape and the nice details on the inside from the Eduard nose. voi­là!

IMG_6889_zpsrcbdpa0b.jpg

IMG_6890_zpsihbtkoiv.jpg

IMG_6892_zps2c2pilr2.jpg

IMG_6894_zpsc3brgogh.jpg

IMG_6897_zpstrlw5bux.jpg

IMG_6905_zps7k9pbk3f.jpg

IMG_6918_zpspignmqml.jpg

IMG_6912_zpslytys1k7.jpg