1/48 SWS F-4J - VMFA-232 "Red Devils" 1972

DirkE

Dont mind the discussion of issues but the original poster seems to be making a big deal about it saying the issue is "near impossible" for the modeller to fix and that ZM needs to address it (I assume retool the kit?)

Basically they are saying the "shoulder line" of the kit proceeds too far aft. The only clear discussion with comparison pics I saw was the post below:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1483319337/The+ZM+engines+are+indeed+mounted+at+the+correct+angle%2C

Edited by petrov27

Sigh... again? If you don't want to participate in a discussion of the accuracy of the kit, then don't. But don't presume that becuase you have a particular viewpoint, that that is by definition the only valid viewpoint. We go through this EVERY time a new kit comes out, and "It looks like an XYZ to me, so everybody should just be happy" is really, really, REALLY getting old. If you don't want to read this, then don't read it.

No one forces you to respond to their posts, yet, here you are

The below thread (robbed from Hyperscale because I can't link to the article, only the damn forum) explains the issue pretty well, both verbally and visually.  It's kind of hard to miss it once you know what you're looking for/at.  I don't do 1/48 much at all but this wouldn't stop me from buying the kit. 

Hip lines issue of the ZKM F-4J January 1 2017 at 10:39 AM 1342110895.JPG
Jun Oizumi
HyperScale Forums

Happy New Year all Hyperscalers.

Nobody here seems have noticed that aft fuselage sections of the ZKM F-4J are totally different from the real Phantom.
The line between the spine and shoulder reaches F.S. 359.66, but from this point a V-shape shoulder line is getting smoother into a U-shape cross section.
0008178_2.jpg
0008178.jpg

However, the shoulder line on the ZKM F-4J continues further aft beyond F.S.447.05 at the trailing edge of the flap. The thrust line of the Phantom's J-79 slants 5.25 degrees downward, but ZKM might not take it in account and shaped the rear sections uniformly to accommodate the engine parts.
0000131.jpg
0000131_2.jpg

I wish ZKM will fix this issue at their earliest convenience as it is almost impossible for ordinary modelers to correct.

Jun in Tokyo
Edited by Juggernut

I'm not a dumb guy, but I don't see what your talking about. Is it the "shoulder" line above the engine? To me its not that big of a deal. Don't build 1/48 anyway.........Harv :frantic:

The below thread (robbed from Hyperscale because I can't link to the article, only the damn forum) explains the issue pretty well, both verbally and visually.  It's kind of hard to miss it once you know what you're looking for/at.  I don't do 1/48 much at all but this wouldn't stop me from buying the kit. 

Hip lines issue of the ZKM F-4J January 1 2017 at 10:39 AM 1342110895.JPG

Jun Oizumi

HyperScale Forums

Happy New Year all Hyperscalers.

Nobody here seems have noticed that aft fuselage sections of the ZKM F-4J are totally different from the real Phantom.

The line between the spine and shoulder reaches F.S. 359.66, but from this point a V-shape shoulder line is getting smoother into a U-shape cross section.

0008178_2.jpg

0008178.jpg

However, the shoulder line on the ZKM F-4J continues further aft beyond F.S.447.05 at the trailing edge of the flap. The thrust line of the Phantom's J-79 slants 5.25 degrees downward, but ZKM might not take it in account and shaped the rear sections uniformly to accommodate the engine parts.

0000131.jpg

0000131_2.jpg

I wish ZKM will fix this issue at their earliest convenience as it is almost impossible for ordinary modelers to correct.

Jun in Tokyo

The pic of the ZM kit was a Pre production kit...... that in no way confirms your assertation

The pic of the ZM kit was a Pre production kit...... that in no way confirms your assertation

It's not MY assertion, it belongs to the person who wrote the post.  Personally, I don't give a rats rear end about it but since I had some information, I thought I'd pass it along.  That and see D's post immediately above.

Edited by Juggernut

I'm not a dumb guy, but I don't see what your talking about. Is it the "shoulder" line above the engine? To me its not that big of a deal. Don't build 1/48 anyway.........Harv :frantic:

yes Harv, that's exactly what the issue is.  I don't build 1/48 much (if at all) as well so it really doesn't affect me either and it wouldn't bother me that much if I did (as I said in my previous post :) )

Edited by Juggernut

Jun is again posting the same information and comparing it to the pre-production test shot.

It's not MY assertion, it belongs to the person who wrote the post.  Personally, I don't give a rats rear end about it but since I had some information, I thought I'd pass it along.  That and see D's post immediately above.

Your post confused a few of us because they way you quoted it looks like you were Jun as the signature was at the bottom of your post.

If I peer and squint a bit, I have to admit that it looks like the ZM rear may have an issue from some angles. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal and that the whole airframe looks very good. Completed models look really nice.

I won't be getting one as I have too many other things to make, so please feel free to disregard my comments.

If you look at the other build thread of a completed model (Fs ar my Favourites), I really had to look hard to see it.