F-16A & F-16C Aggressor Double Build - The Double is Done!

Marcel111

cGN7I4.jpg

Anybody out there have any ideas on how to to the NO PUSH marking on the exhaust petals? The Academy kit has some pretty good-looking decals but I am pretty anxious about applying decals over that metal finish. Wish there were some dry-erase things available.

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel,

I have seen the Academy "No Push" decals used on the tail feathers before, if you trim off excess clear portions you can lay them right down over the Alclad finish without using any sealers.  But if you want to weather them down some, then try over coating the exhaust with Alclad Aqua-Clear.  Typically does not alter the finish once dry but I do recommend doing some tests with it beforehand as it can be a bit tricky to apply and have it dry crystal clear.  Ok to weather over the top of it with oils, enamels, etc., stuff is tough as a rock when dry. 

Cheers

Kirk

Edited by Starfighter Jock

Much better!

I'm not sure which aircraft had that nozzle, but here is my public library of other Aggressors (& other F-16's) that might help. Lots of detail pics too.

http://s253.photobucket.com/user/chuck540z3/library/F-16%20Aggressors?sort=3&page=1

Here's a another wild one:

Nellis12.jpg

Nellis13.jpg

A few more that might be helpful....

Nellis28.jpg

Nellis27.jpg

Nellis1.jpg

Nellis2.jpg

TBird2.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

There is a thread going on over on the discussion space re. converting the Tamiya kit to the NSAWC F-16A Block 15 OCU, so I thought I'd slap some pics up over here to show what I have learnt and done so far. I am really short of time so apologies for the poor quality of the pics.

tvk7Yl.jpg

0ey2u2.jpg

Wuor7Z.jpg

I modified the metal landing gear such that I can fit it later on. No way I can work on the rest of the model with gear attached.
j8tzuL.jpg

The fit of the Aires wheel wells into the 2nd F-16 was really poor... kinda weird that the fit into other model is far better.
vzMsvp.jpg

This is the KASL tail with the parapack removed and replaced by the Tamiya standard base (what appears like gaps is CA glue, other than rescribing this is done). This took quite a bit of work since the Tamiya "C" part is a lot thicker than the "A" base.
XCnJul.jpg

Here is the work I have done so far to hollow out and correct the pylons. Note that the hollowing out is only really relevant for one of the pylons on my NSAWC build since one of the pylons will carry the Elta EL/L-8222 ECM pod.
QvYJhc.jpg

EeOktO.jpg

Some gun work. 
YdDnFS.jpg

Other than converting the Tamiya Block 32 kit to a Block 15 OCU, there are some other NSAWC-specific details to keep in mind, such as the little rectangular GPS cover on the forward spine of the aircraft. Anyway, if you decide to do this conversion you'd be in good hands with Jakes's book, it covers all the requirements.

At this point I have put aside the F-16C Block 30 so that I can focus on the NSAWC Viper, it was getting hard to focus on building two air-frames concurrently.

Cheers,
Marcel
Edited by Marcel111

Very nice work, Marcel.  It never occurred to me to paint the gun panel separately prior to installation.  I always try to mask the gun.  

XCnJul.jpg

Be careful with this part.  It appears to be a hybrid of F-16A and F-16C.  Check out the RWR antenna on the rear upper and lower and compare them A-model vs. C-model.  Quite some differences.

Very nice work, Marcel.  It never occurred to me to paint the gun panel separately prior to installation.  I always try to mask the gun.  

Be careful with this part.  It appears to be a hybrid of F-16A and F-16C.  Check out the RWR antenna on the rear upper and lower and compare them A-model vs. C-model.  Quite some differences.

Thx Jake... I thought there was something not quite right but hadn't bothered to look into it, I'll check it out in detail now...

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on this (just not finding much time for modelling):

This is where the F-16A build is at. It's taking a very long time to ensure that the leading edge flaps are on with only a minimal gap.

sa5KLk.jpg

The real reason for the update is to show that the Tamiya part at the base of the tail requires substantially more rework than meets the eye, turns out the "A" base is very different in pretty much every way compared to a "C" base:

hTblDG.jpg

wzseFi.jpg

Cheers,
Marcel

Good job on the deep surgery Marcel!  If you don't know already, whenever I think I might be sanding off rivet and panel line detail that I want to retain, I deepen all of that before I sand with a panel line scriber and a needle in a pin vice.  Sometimes this takes a few iterations, depending on how deep the sanding goes, but in the end I am usually able to keep all of it.

Cheers,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Jake, if I ever meet you in person I will for sure buy you a cold one. Thankfully I had a really close look at the top of the fin of the A and it really is entirely different to a Block 30 top, the KASL A tail conversion top looks just like a C top. That may of course be because the Taiwanese A tails have the same top as a C.

So converting the C tail to an A tail took a little more effort than anticipated, but it's all coming together, I think the base is also starting to look like a smooth fit:

iXUQXo.jpg

Close up of upper tail... very different to a C top and very different to the KASL top:

jPM905.jpg

Semi-open speedbrakes... they never look like this on parked USAF F-16's but for whatever reason the NASWC jets have their brakes in anything from all the way open to closed, and anything in-between (same thing with the flaps).

WEcnqk.jpg

I am busy reading the John Boyd book by Robert Coram which makes this build all the more exciting... I will be building the A without tanks and with a minimum of external stores to come close to the Boyd/Sprey ideal.

Cheers,

Marcel

• 2 months later...

Wow, no update on this since October! Since then we have moved into the house we bought and have been generally pretty busy. Also, I haven't quite gotten my modelling space sorted out yet, that will likely take a year but in the interim I am in a little dark room at the back of the house (which doesn't really motivate me to sit down and model). Nonetheless, I have snapped some pics of the progress I have made--apologies for the poor quality of the pics, will use a stand again next time.

Here is an overall view of the tail, with some preliminary paint on. Still some scribing and final finishing to do but I am getting there:

KEIGAw.jpg

The underside. The taper into the exhaust doesn't look entirely right but there is not much I can do about it, I have since scribed this area.

ICmB9u.jpg

Modified mid-wing pylon with Elta ECM pod dry-fitted:

BcmENh.jpg

This pic shows what needed to be done to the Elta pod:

UYPy2e.jpg

vHtPuW.jpg

The sway-brace cover area of the mid-pylon was substantially modified. The holes (for the fasteners) were moved further apart and styrene rod and small brass nuts were used to complete the assembly.

AHRWEf.jpg

4NYHJy.jpg

The underside of the pylons was substantially detailed:

Tlt5gm.jpg

Happy 2018 to all of you!

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111