Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IIa kit - Built as a 54 Sqn Spitfire Mk.Ia.

Derek B

Derek,

Brilliant start ..

Its like waiting for the next chapter to a thriller keeping us in suspense...

Look forward to more... :wicked:

with your aviation background, knowledge AND  gadding off to Bruntingthorpe to help with Lightning

I think you will be up to the task very well. :thumbsup:  { how was Bruntigthorpe this weekend..hope it went well...missed it !}

Now to homework.... :mental:

Thanks Maru - The LPG 60th EE Lightning anniversary at Bruntingthorpe went very well with great weather, but a very long and exhausting day for both myself and the LPG staff (and an additional five hours of driving on top of that).

I have taken some more photographs, with more to come, as well as digging out my Hasegawa Spitfire kit for additional comparison purposes, so I am still on it. I have archery practice tonight so I may not be able to do much now, but will try to post something before weekend if I can (off to Blackpool over the weekend to see the Mamma Mia! stage show). 

Cheers

Derek

Just a quick update - still getting there guys. I dug my Hasegawa Spitfire kit out of the attic last night and I am using that along with the Tamiya Spitfire VIII as a reference datum kits to the new Revell kit (along with the George Cox drawing). I am taking dimensions, making comparisons and taking photographs at the moment.

I have completed the fuselage and wing correction work and can report that it works well and makes a big difference to the appearance of the Revell kit in these areas - this will be fully covered when I start adding more posts. I am away over the week end and for half of next week, but I shall try and have something on here as soon as I can, as I know that you are all eager to see what I have done.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Sorry, all, but I've figured out another anomaly, and it'll be a swine to fix. If you intend to build the kit with the canopy closed, you can stop reading here, since you're covered.
If you want the canopy open, then "Houston, we have a problem."
In common with several other manufacturers, Revell have engineered a little cut-out beside the top right corner of the door; with the canopy closed, the square is filled by the corner of the canopy. Open the canopy, and you need to cover the hole with the front corner of the canopy, or, at least, fill the hole; however, on the other side/cockpit wall, you really need to build it up, slightly, with a rendition of the tracking, along which the canopy slides.

Together with said "hole," I fear that Revell have made the rear glass too short, to allow that to happen, since the rear of the canopy should cover it, when it is closed (later Marks introduced a draught excluder at the rear edge of the canopy, to seal off the gap.)

The door should also have the canopy tracking in its top edge, so should also be built up, slightly (with the crowbar needing removal, it might be easier to scratchbuild a new one.)

Edgar

Jennings, you just keep believing in the power of positive thinking!  Who knows, maybe it really will happen eventually.  Meanwhile, didn't Roy (Barracuda) have a replacement door?  I assume (ducking for cover) that it has the rail or at least is the right height (or depth, if it's hanging open).

bob

Sorry, all, but I've figured out another anomaly, and it'll be a swine to fix. If you intend to build the kit with the canopy closed, you can stop reading here, since you're covered.

If you want the canopy open, then "Houston, we have a problem."

In common with several other manufacturers, Revell have engineered a little cut-out beside the top right corner of the door; with the canopy closed, the square is filled by the corner of the canopy. Open the canopy, and you need to cover the hole with the front corner of the canopy, or, at least, fill the hole; however, on the other side/cockpit wall, you really need to build it up, slightly, with a rendition of the tracking, along which the canopy slides.

Together with said "hole," I fear that Revell have made the rear glass too short, to allow that to happen, since the rear of the canopy should cover it, when it is closed (later Marks introduced a draught excluder at the rear edge of the canopy, to seal off the gap.)

The door should also have the canopy tracking in its top edge, so should also be built up, slightly (with the crowbar needing removal, it might be easier to scratchbuild a new one.)

Edgar

As part of my research into the kit vs drawing vs other Spitfire kits, I have noted a few discrepencies in this area, one of which is the common fault of too shallow depth of the rear cockpit glazing, which would cause the problem that you have highlighted.

Derek

Jennings, you just keep believing in the power of positive thinking!  Who knows, maybe it really will happen eventually.  Meanwhile, didn't Roy (Barracuda) have a replacement door?  I assume (ducking for cover) that it has the rail or at least is the right height (or depth, if it's hanging open).

bob

Barracuda have just released a new door sans crow bar, labelled as being applicable to the I-V, just looking through a book on Spitfires in Malta 1942, all V's and the crowbar is there, just sayin...