Tamiya 1/32 F-14 Black Knights

Kylenlord

Hi everyone,

Just entered the world of 1/32 with this F-14 kit and pretty excited to jump into it.

I am hoping someone could shed some light on the swing wing mechanism and the parts directly behind the trailing edge. It would appear that there is a set for either forward or swept wings. If you pick one, does that mean the wings are locked in that position? If so, what's the point of having the gear mechanism to move both wings?

I also found out there's quite a few raised panel lines after I bought the kit, it's like they knew nobody enjoys rescribing panel lines.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle, the parts behind the wings were supposed to be interchangeable. The thought being that you would change them out when you moved the wing position. When I built mine I used the parts for the swept position, and glued them in.

Yep, raised and recessed panel lines. Go figure.

Supposedly a high end kit when it was new, it displayed some annoying features.

Good luck with the kit, with some tlc it looks great when completed.

Dsn

Thanks guys,

I kind of like the swept open wing position even if it takes up more shelf space. Yeah the panel lines aren't really a make or break, just the second time a Tamiya kit fooled me, first being their 1/48 A10.

Do you recall if the kit requires nose weight? I didn't see any mention of it in the instructions.

Bob, I dragged my fiancé to 3 different hobby stores looking for this kit. I saw it and said gee it's still a lot of money, she pulled it off the shelf and said she couldn't handle another month of me talking about it and just to get it already. I'm glad to hear it's an enjoyable build.

Thanks everyone

Kyle

I built this one back in 2010 and on mine you could have the wings in fully swept or open position hence the mechanism.

I don't recall anything that restricted the build to one or the other.

As far as I recall I filled the nosecone with a mix of lead shot and expoxy glue.

RFI thread shows wings in both positions.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30336&hl=

Hahaha, she's a keeper alright. I will be, our date is set for September 22, trust me she's been putting my modeling skills to good use for wedding decorations and lawn games. She smiled when she read that though.

So I'll be ordering the Aires resin pit soon, then I'm thinking I'm due for my first work in progress here.

Thanks everyone

Kyle

Hi everyone,

I also found out there's quite a few raised panel lines after I bought the kit, 

Thanks,

Kyle

Hi Kyle, looking forward to seeing how your Tomcat turns out. 

If you check reference photos you might find that the raised panel lines on the beaver tail are more accurate than you think. Everyone jumps on the re-scribe bandwagon but the real deal may have actually had more like raised panel lines in that area. Might be worth a looksee. Just saying ;)

Hey Phil, good to see you again buddy. It's been a while. Welcome back dude.

Cheers.

Hahaha, she's a keeper alright. I will be, our date is set for September 22, trust me she's been putting my modeling skills to good use for wedding decorations and lawn games. She smiled when she read that though.

So I'll be ordering the Aires resin pit soon, then I'm thinking I'm due for my first work in progress here.

Thanks everyone

Kyle

You sure you  want to risk using an Aires resin kit?

The Aires pit is excellent and fits perfectly. I have no idea why everybody is always complaining about Aires cockpits - I have never ever had any issues with Aires cockpits and I have used quite a few already...

The Tamiya kit certainly isn't up to date when it comes to detail and surface detail, but it is still the best proportioned 1/32 Tomcat kit and can be built into an absolute gem with a bit of effort. I have to admit I don't find it enjoyable to build - my is stalled since a few years already...

Hey Phil, good to see you again buddy. It's been a while. Welcome back dude.

Aw, I still drop in from time to time and see you lot abusing expensive plastic!

:evil_laugh:

If I see something I actually can contribute to then I'll give my thoughts.

Otherwise, as regards the Aires stuff, I used the Avionix/Black box "B" cockpit set for mine.

Good stuff and no real problems.

I see they do an "A" version under ref : Avionix BLC32013.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BLC32013

Might be an alternative to the Aires stuff.

:)

Edited by PhilB