Spirit of St Louis FINISHED!

ericg

Very nice touch with the stitched-up piece of fabric. IIRC, there was also a piece of fabric cut off by bounty hunters in Le Bourget on the left side of the fuselage, slightly ahead of the stabilator.

Hubert

Probably not of much help for detail (except for the fasteners around the spinner maybe, and for showing how difficult those cooling slots are to spot).

But an interesting pic of what appears to be an artist adding another flag to the 'countries visited' tally.

15875515_10211742546908094_1079589675195

Eric,

You've managed to take an already spectacular build that few could ever match, and kick it up a few more notches. Those added details are just incredible, as you've pushed your build even closer to historical accuracy. :wow:  :yahoo:  :thumbsup: 

Joel 

Guest Peterpools

Eric

I'm right with Mark

Brilliant as brilliant gets

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Onto the final details now. Most of the kit parts in white metal are a bit over scale and clunky and certainly won't do the final product justice. Luckily they aren't too hard to sratchbuild.

First up the lifting handles on the rear of the fuselage. The kit part is in the tweezers. I made up some new ones from brass and plastic.

IMG_6377_zpssgq4zdkf.jpg

The Venturi tube also copped the same treatment, which I turned up on my lathe.

IMG_6399_zpszrpxj0lu.jpg

Installed with a bracket made of brass and mounting straps on the strut from the same metal foil as the cowls.

IMG_6422_zpscitlqgdu.jpg

The door got a handle on its inner side. The real one didnt have anything on the outside and it didn't have a window.

IMG_6423_zpsletmve2k.jpg

The heater box and piping from the kit was a bit basic and lacked detail

421E47E3-A305-4BCD-8A75-F1F2D4DBC2AB_zps

I formed lengths of thick copper wire to replace the heater piping and then wrapped them in thin copper wire

IMG_6361_zpsxyr1j4cw.jpg

Installed and painted. Looks a lot better.

IMG_6425_zps17rpkr08.jpg

I also made a small lever from scrap brass and added a control wire for the heater box.

IMG_6421_zpslvw3807s.jpg

The rigging, Gaspatch turnbuckles and EZLine.

IMG_6424_zpsfobtgfv9.jpg

Edited by ericg