G-EBLV DH60 Cirrus Moth 1:32 scratchbuild

RLWP

Richard

Just keeps getting better and better - what a treat for sure.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Thank you

What I'd really like to do is inspire people into having a go at this stuff. I really do find it easier, certainly less frustrating, than chopping and scraping kits to get what I want

Richard

Something different

tail-1.JPG

That's a piece of 0.010" styrene, scribed for the rib tapes and taped to the drawing. The framework is 0.030" round stuff bent and glued

Next is fill in the rest of the ribs:

tail-2.JPG

This is with the other surface stuck on:

tail-3.JPG

Using this construction, you can get two full size effects, one of which is this:

tail-4.JPG

The other will have to wait for some paint

I made the rudder and fin too. The difference is there is a 0.040" square rudder post, the ribs are 0.040" thinned at the ends and the outer edge is 0.030"

rudder-1.JPG

rudder-2.JPG

And here are both Blu-Taced in place:

Empennage-1.JPG

Not easy to see there, I got a few solvent dips in both parts. It's a consequence of using such thin sheet and brushing solvent. None are big, I have filled them and I'll sand back later.

I'm not too bothered if I lose some of the rib detail when sanding. Aeroplanes from this era have a sort of organic feel to them, not every feature is absolutely uniform so a few hard-to-see rib tapes is fine with me

Richard

Edited by RLWP

The first things I made for this were the wing skins:

Wings-1.JPG

0.010" styrene sheet with the rib tapes scribed on, then folded along the leading edge

I made a new core from a piece of balsa to replace the one I trashed :

Wing-1.JPG

Cut to shape. The balsa goes right to the leading egde, but stops about 1/8" short of the ends and trailing edge:

Wing-2.JPG

Then I sand it to be roughly a wing profile. You can make it a proper NACA or RAF section if you want, I'm looking for something pointy at the front that thins at the back. Most important is to get a feather edge otherwise you can get a step in the wing skin:

Wing-3.JPG

The core is sprayed with sealant, dried, then covered in double sided tape:

Wing-4.JPG

Bottom to top we have a core covered in tape, the wing skin and the wing former. I made this for my Morane Saulnier, I've used it for other wings since then and it's probably time to make a new one. It's a piece of balsa sanded to a curve and taped to a board

Wing-5.JPG

The skin is taped to the leading edge of the former:

Wing-6.JPG

Then the core stuck to the lower part of the skin, smoothing it down onto the former:

Wing-7.JPG

Next, the top skin is smoothed onto the core with a ruler:

Wing-8.JPG

Finally the trailing edge is glued and taped down to cure:

Wing-9.JPG

When that is stuck, I used one of my paper plans to cut the outer shape:

Wing-10.JPG

No images of the next steps, I forgot. Basically it's stick down the wing tips like the tailing edge was, then deal with flaws. 

I have started to use less solvent as I was getting sinks in the skins, now I get edges that don't stick and have to be glued again.

Along the wing tips there's a lot of double curvature so you get dents and wobbles. Dents can be filled and wobbles sanded out

Anyway, I now have this:

progress-1.JPG

The tank is a bit of shaped balsa, top and bottom covered in double sided tape then skinned in 0.010" styrene. The edges are corrugated styrene

tank-1.JPG

Some of this is procrastination while I decide how to do the top of the fuselage

Richard

Edited by RLWP