Kitty Hawk OV-10A Bronco VAL-4 Black Ponies

Out2gtcha

Well guys we are off to the races again.........................More Broncos!  I have received my shipment of parts for the new Kitty Hawk OV-10A from Glen.....................

There is not box nor box-art, there are no instructions, and no decals, so this one may be slightly more of a challenge than the D was overall, but still should not be an issue with the instructions from the D model. There are not a whole lot of differences between the kits that i can see other than the nose of coarse, and then the exhausts, props and some cockpit differences.

The cockpit still appears to be slightly inaccurate for the A model, and there dont appear to be any new weapons stores for the A, but again this is a test shot ONLY so things may change when the actual kit is released. Im not even sure of what the OOB schemes will  be as Glen has not let on about that yet.

So in light of things, I will be using some left over decals from my OV-10D build in conjunction with some custom made Black Ponies and some fuselage codes to make a SEA scheme from the VAL-4 Black Ponies based at Binh Thuy in 1969. I have everything I need save the Black Ponies themselves, and some fuselage codes:

VAL-4KHDemoOV-10A.jpg

Here is another drawing of a ship from the same squadron based out of Vung Tau also in 1969 with a pretty much identical paint scheme as I will be going for:

blackponies.jpg

I will likely be using the first set of codes for 55403.

This will be a down and dirty 100% OOB build. I will not be adding anything that I don't already have in the cardboard box that the parts came in since this will be a demo model for Glen to display at his tables.

In that light, I will also be doing something out of the ordinary for me, and in keeping with the demo/OOB theme, I will be displaying all 4 cockpit crew hatches open, and likely one engine cover displayed open as well.

This is not my normal SOP, so it may take some finagling during the shipping process to keep things from breaking off. Im not sure on that yet, and will cross that bridge when its time to start thinking about shipping this one to Glen.

The main parts difference (at least in my test shot) is a pretty short list of parts:

DSC04031.jpg

DSC04032.jpg

Well boys and girls that is about all for today........................Ill be getting an actual start on this one soon, I just have to wrap up the build article on the OV-10D, paint on the anti-glare green on teh windscreen and Ill be digging into this one.

Cheers!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks guys!

Yeah Danny, there is some stuff that is off as far as outright accuracy with the pit in general for the A including the observers dash. In this case however with no decals, and only the USN decals left from my D model, this is one of the only schemes that I can utilize not only the squadron tail code, but also the NAVY boom decals too. I really only need to make up some serial #s and some Black Ponies and im set.

Also with this being a 100% OOB demo build for Kitty Hawk, I really dont want to change anything or modify the pit from its existing OOB config.