WnW Albatros D.Va

Zero77

Hi,

Here is a build of mine, but actually it is idle at the moment (i will explain why...).

I've starded it a few months ago, but put it apart, then restart it. I've done the cockpit, the engine, enclosed the fuse, painted the wings (but not very satisfied, i may repaint them later), and so on.

The scheme i wanted to do is this one :

Albatros%20D.Va%207237~17,%20Lothar%20We

So i started to make the wood first, and was very satisfied with the result (i did not wanted to use decals as anyway most of the plywood will be hidden by the sponge camo). Then i painted the tail yellow, with the former german cross visible by transparancy. Everything was going smooth.

And then the tragedy : the camo. I totally missed up this damn camo. And because i'm dumb, i started to put on decals....

So at the moment, this nice model is waiting for her paint to be clean off, and i will repaint it all. With the same scheme (i'm a bit masochist....).

So here are a few pictures of the cockpit, sorry for the bad quality (i forgot to shot more pictures before closing it) :

20140518_024436_zpsa76ec211.jpg
20140518_024332_zps92cd1f2e.jpg
20140518_024308_zps2cdc0e13.jpg

20140521_010713_zpsd0ee1e89.jpg
20140521_010708_zps5f38fad8.jpg
20140521_010559_zpsf0c935fa.jpg
20140521_010521_zpsb26317a3.jpg
20140521_010426_zps65f41fd3.jpg
20140521_010227_zps23434d1e.jpg

It was a pain to put the control cables on the small pulleys (and make them straight !), but except that, i really enjoyed building it.

Edited by Zero77

Personally, I don't think your camo is that far off and I think it looks pretty good. A suggestion to possibly try out, I would take some MicroMesh polishing pads to the camo paint to try and polish a little of the paint off first and see if that helps tone down the effect before I committed to stripping (and all the work that entails!).

Thanks !

Bob, thanks for the tip, i've tried it (micromesh) after shooting the pictures, but i'm still unhappy with it, and after a long reflexion i decided to redo the painting so i wont curse myself each time i will see this albatros in my showcase !

And anyway it's too late, 2 days ago i've wipped a tissue with alcohol on it (to see if my coat of Future would protect my wood finish but it doesn't). This paintjob has made busy a whole weekend. Too bad, it will busy me another weekend !

I think my main mistake was to use acrylic paint to do the camo, over an acrylic wood finish. Even with a coat of future between (maybe this protecting coat was too thin), it prevent any correction using thinner. If i would have used enamel for the camo, i could have wipped it out easily without any problem. I will know for the next time !

In addition enamel are way easier to work with for this kind of job.

Iff you want my opinion, i must say that you have done a great job on this bird. It's obvious that you have mastered the wood-grain technique very well, you're woodwork look's really superb :goodjob:  Also the cockpit and engine are juwel's.

Now regarding you're motling camo effect, it's not quit clear to me, what kind of technique u used to achieve this result, can you please explain this? Iff i look at the Ronny Bar color profile of the bird you wanted to make, i see a camo pattern, that could be applyed by the sponge technique.

Just keep in mind, that you're achieved result of the camo isn't wrong at all, it's just a little bit overdone, and i understand that you are not happy with the result, heads up mate and start over again, i'm sure that the next result will be good.

You have the skill's that's for sure, and i'm verry eager to see you're next progress on this bird.

Greetz

Danny

Thanks Danny for your encouragement !

Here is a real picture of the aircraft :

Albatros%20D.Va%20Seefrontstaffel%201,%2

And another profile than i think is a bit more accurate than Ronny Bar's (but all my respect to Ronny, his job is amazing! ) :

albatros-dv-ltn-kempf-1917-bh-18.jpgalbatros-dv-ltn-kempf-1917-bh-18.jpg

The next time, i will use only green (no mauve) and will try to get a bit more transparency for this camo, and smaller dots.

The technique i'ive used is the sponge technique. I dip a piece of foam in paint, dry it a bit on a paper and dab it on the model. But i must have not practiced enough before tackling the model. I will train and train again on a scraped model until i think it's ok before doing it on the D.V.

Your technique is correct but you may want to thin the camo paint before the next attempt to get the transparency you are seeking - and practice on a similarly base-coated piece of scrap material.  I use this technique using a foam piece that has been dabbed almost dry with good results.

Agree with everyone above. I'd be very pleased with your results up to the mottling... and that's just something you'll have to put down to experience. Better to do it wrong and then correct, than don't do it at all for fear of getting it wrong (advice I need to take myself.. :) ).

Look forward to second iteration of this scheme.

Matt

• 1 year later...

I continue the operation "Rescue from the Shelf of Doom".

I'm back to this one. And this time, i hope not to kill my work... :)

The paint has all been stripped and cleaned thoroughly (even in the panel lines). Yesterday, i've airbrushed a coat of "wood base", and this evening i'll start again the wood grain painting.

20151005_014314_zpsjwnsvkkt.jpg

Edited by Zero77