Revell P-51B Mustang

Adrian A.

I've been tinkering with this build since I started on my Lightning build in the Aces Group build but haven't posted anything on it yet.

I was thinking about putting another entry into the Aces group build but really haven't decided on what colors she'll wear. I've been leaning towards doing another Tuskegee Bird, but since I've already done 'Ina the Macon Belle' and that was the only ace of the Airmen, I decided to post it here instead. (Although another 'Ina' wouldn't be out of the question).

I also have a nice set of Zotz decals for 'Shangri La' but I'm not sure I want to use them on the Revell Mustang - I originally wanted to use it on a Trumpeter Kit.

OR, I could do 'Ding Hao!' (also on the Zotz sheet).

So, what to do, what to do? Guess I'll just build it & decide when I need to.

I started with the Beeson boxing of the kit - I won't even try to use the Beeson Decals - the last two sets I tried wound up shredding on me so I think I'll just pass on this one.

post-177-1260333669.jpg

I'll be using the Warbirds "Red Tail" P-51C Mustangs Part 1 # 32-001 if I finally decide on if it will be a Tuskegee ship or not.

The Zotz set for 'Shangri La' & 'Ding Hao!' is "P-51B Mustangs in the ETO Part 2 set # 32015

post-177-1260334747.jpg

I'll be expanding my modeling skills a bit by using a few aftermarket items.

Eduard Seatbelts # 32604, Waldron Placards, & I was going to use the True details wheel set.

I'll also be using the Eduard PE Cockpit for The Revell P-51B Mustang # 32 013

post-177-1260335025.jpg

As I said in my previous post, I WAS going to use the TD wheel set.

I changed my mind.

I'll be using Jerry Rutmans great Landing Gear & Wheel set - along with his metal tail wheel gear.

I'd like to use his new tail wheel gear bay if I can get one in time also.

post-177-1260335376.jpg

Now to get on with some in progress shots.

The only problem I have about not posting as I built is that I now have a lot of pictures & I really can't remember how (or should I say in what order) they were taken in.

I mean I kinda know what I did, but I don't remember completely, so it might be just a tad jumbled up until I get caught up to where I'm at in the build now.

I'll start with the earliest dated pics and just hit the highlights until I get caught up.

I guess I'll just start with a few shots of the firewall & oil tank. I sanded the tank down & did a bit of scratch building on it with styrene, wires & some transistor parts.

post-177-1260335899.jpg

I forgot to mention - I guess it's apparent that Brian would like to see 'Ding Hao!'

Definitely a consideration Brian. I like the fact that its not a NMF scheme.

Here's the shot of the nearly completed oil tank & firewall.

post-177-1260336228.jpg

I worked on the Revells simple Merlin. I'll be dressing it up a bit later on with a wiring /injector harness & plumbing.

I started by drilling out the kit exhaust.

It's not a great shot but you can see some of the work done to hollow out the exhaust stubs.

post-177-1260336405.jpg

The assembled Merlin.

After putting together those outstanding Allisons on my Lightning Build (that will never see the light of day), I just have to shake my head at this birds Merlin. Of course I realize the kits 40 years old so, I guess it'll work.

I'll be doing some more work on it as I said before I install it in the fuse.

I'll be experimenting on trying to get the exhausts coloration correct - that ought to be a trick!

post-177-1260336572.jpg