Italeri CF-104 in foil *Updated* almost done !

FunkyZeit

Hey guys!

I'm going to join this build as I wait for some F-16 parts from a LSP member. The subject will be a CF-104 built from the new Italeri kit! Build will be OOB. I plan to do a high polish paintjob (which I have no experience with so I'll need your help!), the plane will be done "in-flight" to save on some time. I want to do this one up rather quickly.

My main problem is the kit does NOT include a Pilot.. so I may have to modify a tamiya f-16 pilot or a russian pilot.. What do you guys suggest?

6b8c4252-739c-46b2-9962-a8e17f3c69d5_zps

Stand by for updates!

Edited by FunkyZeit

Guest Jessie_C

You can't really, truly do a CF-104 straight from Italeri's box, but you can get close. Here's a thread which discusses some of the things you'll want to know. Also Italeri has never yet managed to get RCAF maple leaves correct. Luckily, Canuck Models does an excellent decal sheet with everything you'll need.

You can't really, truly do a CF-104 straight from Italeri's box, but you can get close. Here's a thread which discusses some of the things you'll want to know. Also Italeri has never yet managed to get RCAF maple leaves correct. Luckily, Canuck Models does an excellent decal sheet with everything you'll need.

It's very close though, I just got the kit yesterday. Slightly different instrument panel which nobody but the hard core CF-104 fan would notice. They don't offer the proper "fat" spoked wheel rims just fat solid ones or spoked thin ones.  That's all I've found so far that's really noticeable. 

Leading Edge models here in Calgary does a few nice decal sets for the kit. I reviewed one set yesterday which will be in "what's new" in the next few days

Leading Edge Link

Guest Jessie_C

Yes, very close. Also the early CF-104s from the era Italeri's decals portray didn't have the gun because they were tasked with nuclear strike and who cares about throwing a few 2cm chunks of lead at the Bad Guys when you're tossing around buckets of instant sunshine? It was only in the 1970s that the Canadian Starfighter fleet got their guns installed and by then they were painted green.

Guest Jessie_C

Is your scheme is 417 Sqn in the 1980s? They had bare metal and guns. It was the early RCAF scheme in the 1960s which didn't have the gun.

417 Squad - 1962 are the decals supplied with the kit.

I'm doing some reading about the early cf-104, indeed had the gun removed for a fuel cell, but I'm having issues finding photos to see if the gun port has also been removed. The leading edge decals that Ron suggested would remedy my problem, would it not?

Thanks for your help Jessie

Edited by FunkyZeit

Guest Jessie_C

No, the 1962 scheme was very different. When the gun was removed the port was plated over but the bulge stayed. Perhaps this is what the Leadeing Edge decal shows? Otherwise their artist missed drawing in the covered port. Here's the basic 1962 scheme. The gun port fairing is visible under the "RC". The white pod on the centreline pylon is a practise bomb carrier.

f104.jpg

Here's one from the 1980s

ca26.jpg

The Maple leaves in the roundels, flag on the tail, RCAF vs Armed Forces lettering and many other details were different.