Trumpeter SBD-2 Midway Survivor, Call her done!

dora9

Thanks Dennis,

At first I wasn't too sure about it like "What if all hell break loose and I get stuck with that?" How do I get rid of it?

Finally everything went ok and now I can relax with my B-Day gift that my wife bought me when we where in Edimburgh last summer.

ea855wwl.jpg

Cheers

Nice work on the chipping. I used the same technique on a Hellcat and a Corsair last year. A tip I used from Doog's blog, where I read about the technique, is to do two rounds of chipping. Chipping fluid/hairspray between bare metal and yzc, do some chipping to reveal the bare metal, then lay down a clear coat. This preserves what you have and makes it easier to keep all the chipping from going all the way down to silver. Then of course another layer of hairspray, then the top coat.

Yours looks great, just thought I'd pass along the technique I'd read about.

Edited by Bstarr3

I like it!! 

Hell, some of the 1:1s had WAY worse looking chipping than that. Its only when you start going way overboard in those types of instances, that even though its like the real deal, in scale it can look off.

Not in this case though!   I think its about right myself. 

A tip I used from Doog's blog, where I read about the technique, is to do two rounds of chipping. Chipping fluid/hairspray between bare metal and yzc, do some chipping to reveal the bare metal, then lay down a clear coat. This preserves what you have and makes it easier to keep all the chipping from going all the way down to silver. Then of course another layer of hairspray, then the top coat.

I do the same, as I like the look of the YZC showing through in spots, and other spots have it down to the bare metal. 

Thanks Bstarr,

I read it too on Doog's blog and in the Rinaldi Studio book Single Model no.3. Very inspiring read. I'll remember that two layer shot next time, sure will make things a lot easier!

Thanks Brian,

That's a fine line to walk on! As soon as you ask "Is it enough or should I do some more?" that's when you have to stop!

We have to keep in mind that it's a snap shot in the life of an aircraft we are doing, so at a certain point the chipping must have look like that. So I am satisfied with the results and will keep in mind that two step for my Corsair!

Guest Peterpools

Andre

Paint work and weathering looks so good and realistic and the cowling is just fine. I'm sure we're making more of it then we should but living with it everyday, it's hard to know when enough is enough.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter,

So far I really enjoy this build, I don't know why I stalled that project for so long, maybe I needed someone else to start one and give me a push and the motivation to finish it!

Love the way it's coming and the look of the chipping, but for the rondels, guess I'll have to go with masks and paint them on because I tried the Yellow Wing decals on the rudder and they are kind of stiff and

I'm affraid that they won't conform to the model and with those gazillion rivets and letter box slots, paint is the way!

Cheers

Edited by dora9

Thanks Dennis,

At first I wasn't too sure about it like "What if all hell break loose and I get stuck with that?" How do I get rid of it?

Finally everything went ok and now I can relax with my B-Day gift that my wife bought me when we where in Edimburgh last summer.

ea855wwl.jpg

Cheers

Happy birthday Bro, have fun and keep some for me.... :m0152:  :thumbsup:  :beer4:  :beer4:

Dan.

Guest Peterpools

Andre

Glad I was the motivation. I'm still plugging away at the wing roots trying to get them super smooth and then back to Rosie the Riveter.

I was never planning on using anything but he yellowhammer Decals. They look great and have all the markings including the large blue circle with white star.

The link is for a review on Hyperscale.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/decals/yhd32018reviewrk_1.htm

Peter

Peter

I have that sheet but the problem is that I need the really big rondels, like 71in. dia. On the Yellowhammer, they only give you the 52in. Montex are doing masks for the 71in. so I'll go with that.

So I am a bit stalled on that project, waiting for paint masks for the rondels, that will give me some time for bombs, landing gears and those narrow wheels! Master Caster used to do them but they discontinued them.

Oh well guess I'll split them in two and put a shim in between!

I love to do some size comparison between aircrafts and this is one of them:

3prQGgxh.jpg

The Spad is the ZM kit I did some time ago and since they are both dive bombers....

Stay tuned!

Edited by dora9

So received my masks, man those Royal Mail guys are fast! Started with the easy part, just to get warmed up for the rondels, the rudder.

JUTa3zDh.jpg

Before

Qahi1WOh.jpg

And after! A few touch up with white paint and wash should do the trick!

Stay tuned!

Edited by dora9