Revell P-51D - Great, or merely Good, or ??

CANicoll

To return to the title of this thread, history tells us that any kit that starts off being great, will transition to good, then average, then meh.

I think one of the laws of thermodynamics describes it but I can't remember which and I can't be bothered to Google.

Those flaps really do look gorgeous.  Up front toward the left inboard end of the flap are graduated marks showing how many degrees the flaps are being depressed.  I'm just assuming that, mind you.  I'm thinking it was a visual aid for the pilot. What I'm wondering is if any decals are available to represent those graduated marks.  Jennings?

Also, does anyone know if those graduated marks were applied to all of the blocks numbers, or just certain ones?  I'm also wondering if it was a placard or just stenciled on.  I'm sure there's a factory blueprint out there somewhere that shows it depicted in detail.  It's just a minor detail, but they would make those flaps pop even more.  Inquiring minds would like to know. TIA

Edit:  I just checked the Tamiya Mustang decal sheet, and lo and behold, the little decal is included.  Should've checked before.  So that answers part of my questions.

Edited by Patrick HMD

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't contain myself anymore and got this kit last Saturday.

Luckily mine was in good shape and no sinkmarks on the flaps, no broken canopy, just a good looking package. I don't care about the flimsy box. I cut open the

top to make a topside opening box.

Still deciding to build it as is or scratchbuild a fin to make a Dutch Mustang.

Choices, choices.
Cees

Clunk is right.

I started this thread, and have to say I'm not thrilled that you used to sell your products. I asked what people thought of the kit, and you jump in with complaints and a sales pitch.

I've tried to hold my tongue on this, but I should not have. Is there a Revell P-51 thread you have not jumped into as a sales opportunity?

Start your own thread, set up a vendor site, whatever. Better yet, why don't you JOIN THE COMMUNITY? Have you posted anything you've built? Or did you just join as a sales channel?

But I have also had it with you trashing a $24 kit so you can sell your stuff. It. Is. $24. I'm building it now, I've built the Tamiya kit. I like them both, for different reasons.

Yes it has some issues, fine. Your stuff looks good. Find a better way to sell and I may turn into a customer.

Right now, I just get irritated when I see your posts.

Chris

Guest Maxim

I think the kit is great for the cost. At  $25 bucks a pop you can afford to ruin one and then build another or you can afford to build a whole squadron of P-51's. I love the Tamiya P-51D but not interested in what's under the hood or in the wings, guns etc. The Revell option gives me a cheap alternative that I can build many examples of.  It may have a few fit problems but the difference in the cost makes the pain a lot less .