Revell/ AIMS 1/32 Junkers Ju-188 E-1 Z6+DM II/KG66

monthebiff

On 12/13/2017 at 4:24 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Wow!  There is some SUPER impressive work going on her Andy!  I like it. I have Johns Mistel and G-4 conversions to do.   Any hints on how you cut out the vac canopy so smoothly? 

Thank you Brian, I am eagerly awaiting Johns G-4 set which I will build in tandem with my 188 when it arrives! These are the tools I used to get the vac form cut out.

20171213_202116.jpg

I used the white Tamiya masking tape as a guide for cutting as its pretty thick, always used a nice new blade and gently made lots of passes. A compass cutter was used for the circles. Fortunately John supplies 2 sheets of the vac parts which is helpfull just in case you slip but so far so good1!

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Thank you Brian, I am eagerly awaiting Johns G-4 set which I will build in tandem with my 188 when it arrives! These are the tools I used to get the vac form cut out.

20171213_202116.jpg

I used the white Tamiya masking tape as a guide for cutting as its pretty thick, always used a nice new blade and gently made lots of passes. A compass cutter was used for the circles. Fortunately John supplies 2 sheets of the vac parts which is helpfull just in case you slip but so far so good1!

Regards. Andy

Thanks!  This is actually the EXACT circle cutter I have too. Same tools I use, just a lot less finesse when I do it. :lol:

Recieved my Hannants order today so I can complete the cockpit detail.

20171215_121452.jpg

Various Master barrels, a replacement MG 81Z for the C stand and some AIMS gunsights, First up was the B2 stand, assembled and ready for some paint. A bit of a tricky sub assembly to get everything square as well as getting the depth correct.

20171215_210318.jpg

Also the instrument panels boxed in and test fitted prior to some paint.

20171215_210947.jpg

Very happy and time to get on with some colour now.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Finally had some time to get some colour on after around 6 weeks work on the cockpit.

20171219_180707.jpg

20171219_180753.jpg

Very happy with getting to this point, next up some washes etc and then on to detail painting and decaling.

As always thanks for checking in.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

Just picked up and read through your whole thread Andy; meticulous and thoughtful work as ever, many congratulations on the progress so far! This is also excellent 'training' for the G4 that we're both in for......I've been thinking lots about exactly what and how to do mine.

Regards

Max

Just picked up and read through your whole thread Andy; meticulous and thoughtful work as ever, many congratulations on the progress so far! This is also excellent 'training' for the G4 that we're both in for......I've been thinking lots about exactly what and how to do mine.

Regards

Max

Thank you for looking in and your kind comments Max, this one is definately both a testing but very enjoyable build at the same time, not to many parts left in the box now though!

Planning on cracking on with my G4 and building it in tandem with my 188 as soon as I recieve my conversion from John, think I around number 5 in the list so hopefully early in the new year. The 110 conversion doesn't look as heavy going as this one but the engine nacelles look like they may be a bit of a challenge.

Regards. Andy

So I am calling the basic cockpit as painting complete, belts added where necessary for ease of installation and now ready to re-fit the two cockpit halves back together.

20171223_211949.jpg

20171223_212017.jpg

20171223_212205.jpg

20171223_212212.jpg

A bit nrevouse about getting the two halves back together, I have dry fitted to the fuselage and looks pretty good but things never seem to go quite as well as soon as you add glue to the equasion or is it just me?

Also have the pelacement rear cockpit floor and radio rack ready to install.

20171223_212317.jpg

So hopefully I will get the cockpit tub back together tomorrow morning if everything goes to plan!.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff