I've got Ki-61 Fever! Foiling Begins 24/2/18

Gazzas

With all of the Ki-61 builds happening here, I suddenly found myself wanting to build the sleekest of Japanese WWII fighters.

b_153602.jpg

This is the senior member of my stash.  Much of my stash are second-hand kits I bought on the cheap.  It's not the oldest kit I have.  But it is the first one I grabbed when I decided to fully dive back into models.

Of course...the decals are yellowed and probably not worth using.

b_153531.jpg

But hey, I have a Silhouette Portrait.  The sky's the limit!  Or my talent is the limit...one or the other....

With a few drawings I set about riveting the beast.

b_153446.jpg

Why would I rivet a model this scale?  A couple of reasons, really.  One, is that I need riveting practice.  Another is that this plane has a lot of rivets.  And I'm going to foil it.  I have the same treatment in mind for a Trumpy P-40 I purchased recently.

When I say "a lot of rivets, I'd like to direct you to this video:

https://youtu.be/XxNQp5PezWg

It's a walk-around of a lightly restored Ki-61. 

Edited by Gazzas

Have always really liked that clover leaf livery on the Ki61. Wish someone did a 1/32 sheet of that aircraft.

Fantastic video- thanks for sharing. I think there are hardly any 'survivor' Ki61's, so great to see it in this in decent quality video. Shame they couldnt have finished that restoration off- many missing rivets- maybe its a work in progress?

Edited by Thunda

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Started the foiling last night.  In the interim since the first post, was all of the usual construction and detail painting of the interior and wheel wells.

Obligingly, 244th Sentai painted the entire tail of their aircraft in red, reducing the amount of foil required.  Our pilot is Nakano Matsumi, and the scheme I'm doing is recorded as being at Chofu during December 44'.  If anyone can tell me what the Kanji symbol means, I'll be grateful.

tew3DM.jpg

XCaFG7.jpg

I've grained the foil and set the longer pieces with the grain running along their length.  The shorter pieces will have their grain going in a perpendicular direction as much as possible.  How well the graining will show after weathering...  I don't know.

LfDdIH.jpg

Despite the thinness of the foil, much of the rivet detail is very hard to see, even up close.  As practice for a future large scale build with lotsa rivets, this is helpful knowledge.

Thanks for looking,

Gaz