Revell 1/32 Grumman F3F-3

Big bad Wolf

My plan is to correct the wing using the wings from a second kit, and cutting them up to add in the missing length (three ribs on each side if I recall correctly). You should be blue to do it and only have to deal with one join on each side. I would think you could get a second kit for less than the cost of the resin replacement wings.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have discovered a significant change to the F3F-3 from the F3F-2 that I never noticed or understood, until now.  If you look closely at a 3/4 view of the aircraft from the tail looking forward, there is a crescent shaped opening that starts near the aft cabane strut and goes all the way down to the wing fillet fairing.  Grumman attempted to clean up the design by fairing the cowling and fuselage a bit more closely.  In essence, the fuselage is wider on the -3 from the aft cabane strut all the way to the cowling.  That crescent shaped opening also eliminated the need for CO2 vents in the accessory section and near the horizontal tails.  The cowl was also slightly different, and the exhausts are faired.

Rich Dann