Revell F-15C what does it need?

Jay Pare

The problem of the fit of the Tamiya kit is essentially one single issue that results in a terrible problem to solve: the assembly instructions do not tell you to glue first the upper fuselage with the wings! If you do that you are solving most of that major problem. As Tamiya instructions are generally excellent, a lot of people had that unfortunate issue of very bad seam that asks for ages to be solved properly.

Yup!! This is how I've done all my Eagles, Revell and Tamiya. You still have to work on the joint with the Tamiya kit, but it will end up with a non putty joint. Revell is the same, but a lot less scraping needed.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=47829

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=65263

Build threads covering both Tamiya and Revell. HTH

Don

Yup!! This is how I've done all my Eagles, Revell and Tamiya. You still have to work on the joint with the Tamiya kit, but it will end up with a non putty joint. Revell is the same, but a lot less scraping needed.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=47829

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=65263

Build threads covering both Tamiya and Revell. HTH

Don

Really amazing DJ build from the Revell Don. I would never have picked that scheme but, seen done, it really looks good!

On searching, Eaglekeeper seems only to have covered the Tamiya Eagles so maybe Thierry can give the Revell tweak treatment (?)

Tony

i love the revell 15, i remember the fond reviews it got when it came out - so much better than then other revell 32nd scale offerings of the time.

built two and have one more C. its beyond me why revell doesnt reissue the C

39089020370_205ea02d93_k.jpg31 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

Edited by blackbetty

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile since seeing this kit and actually building it, maybe since the first release in the 80's when I was stationed at Langley. Let's see what I remember?

Starting nose to tail here goes, top to bottom, remember this from memory.

First kit to be released was the E model demonstrator or 71-0291, TF or B model. The C of course was released using most of the parts from this kit so guess what they are older B model fuselage parts with the addition of single seater cockpit, forward fuselage and canopy with some crude augmenters without turkey feathers.

So now we have a C model forward fuselage with aft early B model fuselage.

Cockpit was released with the CRT's in the cockpit with Bay5 needing replacement as it is far from detailed or even accurate. The seat IIRC on initial release had a ESCPAC seat so this will need to be replaced as the ACESII seat has been the standard since the mid 70's.

Panel lines are deep and wide and are the same overall the jet, but with a coat of paint can be toned down.

Secondary Heat Exchager exhaust behind the canopy or there and passable.

The Speedbrake on the real aircraft sits flat on top of the fuselage, not in a well as depicted on most models to include this one and faired in with side panels .

The engine humps are the correct shape but have the E model demostrator engine mount panels instead of the 2 ea C/D access panels and forward mount door.

Vertical stabs are missing the bullet torque box beef up plates but everything else looks ok.

The Auggies (Augmenters) are crude and should be replaced along with the engine exhaust ducing and flame holder with turbine wheel.

Tail stinger antenae's need to be added according to time frame your modelling your C model, the tail hook fairing will need to be removed depending on timeframe modelling your C model as well.

Next start at the nose on the belly.

First ICS Ant will have to made, 2 between the UHF blade antenae's and one large one directly behind the aft nose gear door.

On the lower left intake the Comm panel will have to repositioned forward and engraved half the size of the A/B Comm panel.

Also on the inside of the intake close centreline just forward of the top of the centreline pylon is the VTR access door.

,aim and nose gear is very nice but as stated earlier is fragile mad should be replaced with something stronger, I put a rod inside of mine but this does not help the oleo on the nose strut.

Servicing panels are in the correct positions.

Secondary power, CGB and JFS intakes and exhaust are in the correct position but the JFS exhaust should be hollowed out on an aircraft your modelling after Desert Storm.

Engine bay panels have the access doors for servicing incorrect positions and size, they made them,for the E model demo aircraft.

On panel 113 L/R instead of having the Sabre Drains (more on this later) the NACA intakes are their instead on earlier releases.of the kit but I think this was fixed on later kit mouldings. The sabre drains were removed off the rail aircraft after numerous gashes and scars ( got two myself) and they were found to,be redundant and did not,serve a purpose during the early 90's.

I am sure I will remember later but this,is,a quick rundown of the 1/32 Revell F-15C hope it helps

Edited by eaglekeeper