1/24 Hurricane

ChrisS

Looking good Chris! I love your paint chipping. How do you do it?

I am assuming this is the Airfix Hurri being built stock OOB?

It's the only one I don't have yet out of their big warbirds. Any idea where I can find one at a good price? #>wink.gif

Keep those pics coming!

Jeff

very nice Chris,

the heel boards for the rudder pedals look great!

watch out for the seat though, the early ones were a resin composite material often left unpainted in its red/brown finish. As hurricanes seem to be prone to 'variation' I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen two spit seats in the flesh so to speak and one was 'plastic' the other tin, so who am i to argue!

Are you doing the merlin? at this level of modelling so far, it would be criminal to cover it up, and the kits motor is possibly the best airfix merlin OOB. Remember that the cowling dimensions are oversize , for its day this was at the limitations of injection moulding and was necessary to accomodate the merlin.

Is it going to be a BoB machine, Bob Stanford Tucks machine? or how about Baders?

A few years ago I did some illustration work for the SAMI book on the Hurri, I have a pile of refs if you're in need of any particulars.

cheers

Tony

BTW I've access to a restored merlin XX, handy for ref images if this helps any (its a runner too!) although I don't want to go posting it here as an article or general refs just yet...

cheerz again

Tony,

Can you quote the source for your comment on the bakelite seat fitted to the Hurricane please?

I have copies of all of the Hurricane manuals and erection/rigging drawings and instructions plus copies of all the MOD numbers & what they were but I have never seen a reference for anything other than a metal seat.

Regards

Dave W.

Chris,

Good work on the Hurri 'office' .

We had a discussion here the other week about canopy framework interior colours but there was one thing that I forgot to mention. Forming an arch inside the rear framework of the windscreen framing is a tube that acts as a forward 'roll-over' bar to give the pilot some protection should the aircraft flip over. This was usually painted black and not interior green and could give the impression that all of the interior windscreen framing was black and not green.

I've got a couple of shots of this area so if you like I can send you a scan.

Regards

Dave W.

Thanks all,

The kit is the old (early) airfix Hurri, going strictly OOB with the exception of a scratched harness (unless someone can point me to an aftermarket set?????). #>huh.gif

Client doesn't want any hatches open, she'll be static. I might do the Merlin separately and mount it for him, it IS that good. Maybe add some wiring, might need another set of stacks...hmm.

Interesting bit about the seat but I'm going to keep the build brisk with few resources/referances. Not going to go too crazy here as the client is not a rivet counter and is much more attached to a good weathering pass and specific markings (401 Squadron).

Paints are all polyscale Acrylics with some MM Enamels for instruments etc. All chipping is the trusty old Prismacolor pencil.

I'll post more pics early in the week when I finish the panel and mate the fuse halves. Going to do the wheel wells in silver and I'll be set to paint by next weekend.

sorry i was talking utter bo**ocks on the Hurri seat, I did have a set of pics from the shuttleworth collection with both their sea hurricane and the spitVb undergoing servicing, the seats ( and whole other pile of stuff were laid out on the floor) were together . If you ever get a chance to be in the Bedfordshire area try and get to the Shuttleworth collection, a living museum with living aeroplanes, superb!

Unlike my innacurate memory.

I'm almost sure I have seen a Hurri with a 'red seat'....positive......well....

apologies for any unitended duff info.

Tony

Hey Chris, looking good. If you're gonna scratch the harness, you're gonna have to open up that rectangular slot above the seat as that's where the shoulder straps pass thru and attach to the horizontal frame behind. Don't ya hate these late suggestions? #>rolleyes.gif #>rolleyes.gif

Mike

a

b

e

n

...back online after much hair pulling #>wacko.gif