1/32 Trumpeter P-38 (advice sought)

Mr b

Hi Folks

I am almost ready to pluck away on the Trumpeter Lightning. But I do not want a NMF aircraft .....are there any L in Olive Drab scheme which could be obtained via an aftermarket sheet ?

If not, can a J be made from the parts in the Trumpeter box ?. As I believe there are some nice OD based schemes of the J.

I hope some p-38 lighting experts can point me in the right direction.

thanks a lot

happy modeling

rgds

mr b

There were very few L models that were camouflaged.  As a matter of fact, I can only think of one, Geronimo from the 479th ( if memory hasn't failed me).  Yes, you can turn the L into a later model J effectively by moving the landing light back under the wing and removing the boost pump covers from the underside of each wing, on either side of the engine nacelle.

Edited by Juggernut

If you are looking for OD planes their are many to be had. Marking for them is the big problem. Don't know why, but there wre never many after market decals for the P-38. I know, just finshed one early this year and the picking were thin. Most that were OD were the early J models, P-38J-10 or 15's. If you wont something well known go with the 475th fighter group in New Guinea. The   group Tommy McGuire, Charles MacDonald and several other well known aces flew with. McGuries second PUDGY was a early J. Same with MacDonald's first PUTT PUTT MARU both in OD.  I did a plane from this group called Thoughts of Midnight tail number 120 which was a J the second plane to carry this name, the first being a F model. Another I found was BLACK MARKET BABE tail # 168,  first being a F model. AS they traided in their F for J's the tail numbers remained the same names and art work were carried over too on several planes. A good place to look is in Google for P-38 pics. Happy hunting look forward to see what you come up with.  Gunfighter

There are a few VERY NICE decals for OD lightnings in the Kagero top shots "lightnings at war" and "Pacific Lightnings". I have both "Lightning at war vol.II and Pacific vol.I" and i must say the decal printing is amazing.

But the OD in those decals sets are all G, E or J, all the L versions are NMF.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=48002

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=42151

If this can help....

Another area of the kit that bugs me is the sink lines along the wing/Nacelle tops from the flap well walls underside. Especially noticeable on the NM builds. 

Nice build Grizly, thanks for the build tip too, will add strength, and help keep the build under control!

Edited by phasephantomphixer

Keep in mind that the very early P-38J's had rounded glass windscreens rather than the flat windscreens of the later J's and L's.  (P-38J-10 and later1).  Dive flaps were introduced on P-38J-251 and later so you may have to fill the holes for the actuators if you're modeling a 38J prior to block 25. 

1Kinzey, Bert. 1998.  P-38 Lightning in Detail and Scale, P-38J through M, Part 2.  Squadron/Signal Publications. Carrollton, TX. p. 11

Mr. B

Also Kagero Top Colors #10 has decals included for California Cute and JACK. Booth OD P-38J-10 birds

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=35904

Don't forget Zots ZTZ/031, It has one OD P-38J-15-LO HILL's Angels from 80th FS 8th FG 1944 in the Philippines

Mr. B get some after market Props.  They are to small!!!!

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

If you have probs with finding decals, I have the ZOTS (partial sheet) and most of the Karego decals. I built the P-38M from the kit and nothing terribly hard on it. It is big.....Harv

Thanks a lot guys ....really helpful advise and pointers by all......I'll be back here soon once I get the Flying Tiger done.....I think it's save to say that my lighting will be built soon.....

I really appreciate the insights and advise and offers.....guys as I am not an expert on the lightning.....but all I can say it's a lovely looking plane and it's big and beautiful in 1/32 .....as some of you have illustrated

cheers and happy modeling

mr b

One more suggestion, I highly recommend the EDUARD IP set. A little work, but I feel its one of their best efforts, it even has toggle switches !........Harv  :popcorn: