1:32 Scale Chipmunk

freemodeller

Hi gentlemen the construction of the Chipmunk had just started. I hope to use this as the instruction for building this kit.

The construction begin by washing and clearing all the parts and building begin with fuselage. First I spay one coat KRYLON plastic primer, PU resin need plastic primer in order paint can stick on it.

_IGP7873_zps71df08a6.jpg

Next cut out the 4 rudder pedals form the support, the two magnetic and their base, two control column, front flap selector lever ( note that they are two, one up and one down, use the right one according to your flap selection ) and the aft flap selector.

_IGP7888_zpsb57b76d5.jpg

Next fix the rudder pedal, magnetic compass with base and control column to the control box .paint it after spay the primer.

_IGP7887_zps3119156c.jpg

You can paint the the inside of the fuselage and all other parts for use inside the cockpit  according to you aircraft colour. Next cut out the elevator trim wheel and fix in the left side of the two seat.

_IGP7900_zpsc5cbf67d.jpg

_IGP7924_zps1009489b.jpg

Paint the throttle lever and brake lever yellow, mixture lever red.and glue the two throttle in place.

_IGP7927_zps8e5d6f74.jpg

To be continue......

Regards

Robin

Nice to see you start a thread on this one Robin. This project will attract a lot of interest, no doubt! I look forward to following your progress, and and I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to the release of the kit.

Kev

Hi gentlemen the Chipmunk continue...............

Next cut two short length wire and fix between the front rudder and the control box.

_IGP7941_zpsafd14454.jpg

and remember to paint the compass. Next you need to enlarge ( sorry for that ) a bit for the side opening at the side of the front seat in order the two throttle and mixture connecting rod can fix inline.

_IGP7942_zps6bb8b57f.jpg

_IGP7953_zps7ffc074f.jpg

Next photo the set up. Please note that DO NOT GLUE the two seat and control box to the cockpit floor, also DO NOT GLUE them to the side of the fuselage as they will lock in without glue.

_IGP7960_zpsf50e9156.jpg

_IGP7964_zpsd6e30dfc.jpg

_IGP7971_zps3eafa872.jpg

To be continue.....................

Cheers,  Robin

I agree with the fellas...................I think this will  be a VERY popular subect, especially for our neighbors to the north, and across the pond. It is a neat looking little trainer, with a lot of possibilites for schemes.

Hi Robin:

This is fantastic, as a modeller and Chipmunk owner/enthusiast/historian I'll be following your build closely. It's taken me several days to join LSP, due to my own bumbling efforts I suspect, I had intended to post earlier. Hopefully, now that I'm finally in this is not too late. A couple of points if I may?

Paint the throttle lever and brake lever yellow,

Are you sure about this? All RAF and ex-RAF Chippies I've examined merely had the mixture and fuel selector knob red (with an orange cast on the latter) with the throttle knob sometimes white, but often black, as is the brake lever.

Note too that the compass casings are a pale grey (Light Aircraft Grey is close) , which really "lifts" them from the bowells of the cockpit. If you're fitting both floor mounted P.11 compasses, then bear in mind that the 1984 modification to fit the coaming-mounted "Airpath" compass also involved the removal of the forward cockpit floor-mounted one - the rear cockpit compass remained. Unlike some Chipmunk mods this one seems to have been universally and rapidly applied to the fleet.

Please accept this as being constructive; I'm simply blown away with what you're doing....

Cheers,

Rod.

Hi Robin:

This is fantastic... A couple of points if I may?

Are you sure about this? All RAF and ex-RAF Chippies I've examined merely had the mixture and fuel selector knob red (with an orange cast on the latter) with the throttle knob sometimes white, but often black, as is the brake lever.

Note too that the compass casings are a pale grey (Light Aircraft Grey is close) , which really "lifts" them from the bowells of the cockpit. If you're fitting both floor mounted P.11 compasses, then bear in mind that the 1984 modification to fit the coaming-mounted "Airpath" compass also involved the removal of the forward cockpit floor-mounted one - the rear cockpit compass remained. Unlike some Chipmunk mods this one seems to have been universally and rapidly applied to the fleet.

Please accept this as being constructive; I'm simply blown away with what you're doing....

Cheers,

Rod.

Yes, that accords with my memories, which admittedly go back to the mid-70s. 

Some amazing work on that cockpit, will be watching with interest.

Crikey! This just keeps getting better and better. Marvellous work Robin.

, few photos for the windscreen and canopy...........please enjoy photo on canopy and windscreen....

I hope  these canopy are clear enough,

Robin

The clarity of the canopy looks perfect on my monitor Robin.

Good job sir.

Cheers.

Hi Rod it was great to have the Chipmunk owner/modeller/enthusiast/historian here to give these useful and valuable advise.

My colour was base on the portugal Air Force Chipmunk (Airliners. Net photo). As we know Chipmunk was produce in big number, used by many country and private owner, also they had many changer over the past 60 years, therefore I suspect no two aircraft are the same. So when come to colour detail its away very subjective, but I believe who ever built their model will paint according to the aircraft they want to model.

I was busy over the long week end but some how manage to find time for the model. As per last update, I put the two seats and the control in to the fuselage but not glue them down. Carefully adjust their position, the fuselage should close nicely follow by super glue the joint and use polyester putty to seal the gap. After the putty dry. I used 320 follow by 600 sand paper to smooth the suface.

At this point do not fix the wing and the tail plane yet.

_IGP7974_zps9e67cfca.jpg

_IGP7976_zpse93ea3c2.jpg

_IGP7977_zps6948e7de.jpg

_IGP7978_zpsf51098f0.jpg

_IGP7980_zps052933c3.jpg

The last photo show the test fix for wing and tail plane.

Cheers, Robin