HK Models DH Mosquito B IV

BloorwestSiR

Thanks everyone! Here's what I think are a couple of other tips that may help out when building the MLG.

1- leave the gear leg supports (T15 and T26 for the right nacelle and T16 and T27 for the left) free and don't glue them to the letter legs. This way, it will be easier to set the correct angle later.

IMG_20150806_204744.jpg

2- the instructions tell you to glue the mudflap supports (D14 and D15) on early. Slide them into place but don't glue them until your ready to attach the mudflap itself. This way you can set the correct angle and spacing as they are not centered on the mudflap.

Here they are in the centre of the photo. Since they're not glued yet, gravity has then hanging straight down.

IMG_20150806_204519.jpg

IMG_20150806_204526.jpg

2- the lower legs can pivot on D32. Again, if you don't glue them on and also just press fit D7 and D8 on, you'll be able to set the correct angle of the gear legs when you attach them to the roof of the gear well.

I finished the second MLG assembly and attached it to the nacelle.

IMG_20150807_233408.jpg

So I now have a corner of my workbench looking like this:

IMG_20150807_233435.jpg

Comparing the two, the overall dimensions are very close as are their shapes. The HK ones are a bit narrower through the gear bays.

While that was setting up, I glued the taking edge inserts into the main wing. Without them in place, the wing is quite flexible and the trailing edges close up.

IMG_20150807_232253.jpg

Once installed, the panels really stiffen the wing up. There is a small lip moulded on the inside of the wing. The inserts need to butt up against it. However, since the wing is pinched, it forces it out of place so keep an eye on it as the glue sets.

IMG_20150807_234747.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

I'm just about to get started on this kit too. I have the Eduard PE cockpit set and canopy mask set coming from Sprue Pros. I plan to use the FineMolds seatbelts but that is subject to change. The a/c I intend to do is from 692 sqdn, P3*C. On doing a little research on Google I'm finding that HK has the squadron codes on the left side reversed. Instead of P3*C it should be C*P3. The right side is ok. Please correct me if I'm wrong! I ordered the decal sheet from EagleCals but I'm not really inspired by any of the a/c depicted there. I hope the Mk. VI sheet will be better. Now I figure we'll be seeing quite a number of Mossie builds, both HK and Tamiya which I really look forward to seeing. Carl, you are setting the bar pretty high on these!! :)

That seems not to be the case, John. On this photo, one can clearly see the P3 in front of the fuselage roundel:

Royal_Air_Force_Bomber_Command%2C_1942-1

Quite the Mosquito production line you have got going on there!

Great work, I cant wait to see them with their wings on. It is great inspiration for me with my 24th one.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Anthony! It's been great following your build too especially all the photos of the actual aircraft parts your using for reference.

As for my workbench, it sort off does look like a production line.

IMG_20150809_221628.jpg

IMG_20150809_221653.jpg

Just one with a BF109 in the middle of it.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

I finally got back around to working on the cockpit. The hold up was due to the somewhat leaning instructions for the seatbelts that Eduard provide. I think they're a generic set as there were way too many belts and buckles. I kept feeling like I had only half the instructions. I finally gave in and started work on them.

IMG_20150809_231739.jpg

IMG_20150810_234430.jpg

This was my first attempt at using belts from HGW. They're definitely better than either of the kit belts in the Tamiya or HK kits.

Carl

Very nice work so far! Your IP looks fantastic! I need to find some of that clear "eyeball" fluid.

Thanks Tom. The Gaia notes clear is very easy to use. The big problem is it seems to be sold out at all the online shops I checked out. If you can find it, it's worth getting.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Coming together nicely Carl, very interesting comparison between the HK and Tamiya sub assemblies.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy. There really is a contrast between the two kits in how they have approached the same details. Building then at the same time highlights this even more.

Thanks Maru!

Finally got the cockpit finished.

IMG_20150813_210123.jpg

IMG_20150813_210134.jpg

Here's the port side panel.

IMG_20150813_210150.jpg

As on the Tamiya kit, I ran into interference from the compass with the IP. I moved the compass back and down slightly so that it would clear the IP.

The starboard side:

IMG_20150813_210209.jpg

Assembled into a single unit:

IMG_20150813_210420.jpg