SH P-39Q 'Spare Parts'

CANicoll

Excellent work on the cockpit!  The IP looks great!  What was it?  Plastic + decal dials or PE?

John,

Glad you asked as I forgot to mention this:

The entire cockpit is resin including the IP, and the instruments are Eduard color PE so the back layer are the gauges and the front is the dials.  EXCEPT the instruments on the right side.

For some reason there was no backing instrument PE, and no decals of instruments, so I actually used WWI instrument decals to fill those three holes.   :innocent:

No clue what happened there.

Chris

Next step was to put the seat belts together - PE and not my favorite but they turned our pretty good I think.   Painted the pull tabs a light olive drab as with the native sand color it just looked strange.

I seriously thought about grabbing some HGW belts but these were so much easier to put together and the stitching looks really good to the eye.  

BkEGX6.jpg

So getting the fuselage together is the next step and I did it kind of my own way.  In general I've seen some fit issues already, and based on my KH experience I thought I'd try to minimize the potential conflicts.

I dry fit the cockpit (only, not with the radio tray attached) into the fuselage, taping it closed up.  What was key is that even fully closed up, I could add the tray and the nose gear bay pretty easily.  Even then the cockpit set a bit to the right. After some pushing and tugging it seemed to 'click' pretty much into place.  The fuselage seemed to line up pretty well so I got most of the fuselage glued together.

Once that was set, slid the nose gear bay and the radio tray in and glued them into place.  Even the scoop insert can be put into place through the wing opening.  Good stuff!

vLIx3H.jpg

MAB3o2.jpg

Right away some of the cockpit detail is already hidden by the fuselage.  Tight fit for sure!

I've started getting the inserts into the bottom wing so next step is to get the wing with the intakes in place, and then start working on seams (which I can see will take some work).  The Special Hobby sprue points on the parts are in some strange places.  On the fuselage, I think four of the sprue attachment points are right on panel lines, but if they had moved the attach points even 3mm and they would be away from panel lines.  Interesting.

Anyone have any ideas how much weight to add to the nose to keep this puppy on its toes?

Thanks for looking!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Kev,

Well, it is a lot simpler build than the KH, but so far the fit is just sooo much better.  No engine, no nose cannon to deal with, and not all of those open panels (that don't fit well closed) so also a much faster build.  The cockpit detail is really good (mostly Eduard Color PE) but the fit of the machine guns is funky.  Somehow the IP just sits maybe 5mm too low.  But it still looks pretty good!

Chris

Great work so far, lovin' it - I didn't know there was a resin cockpit available - did it come with this kit?

Regarding nose weight, I'd say as much as you can. I sealed and filled every conceivable section of the remaining nose space with Liquid Steel from Little-cars, a great product (kinda like odd shaped lead shot) sealed in with glue before I got a positive nose down balance. Mind you I extended the rear fuselage on mine which would have thrown the COG further back than on yours.

BTW - the radio in P39's were located behind the large access panels in the rear fuselage just ahead of the tailplane. I can never quite recall what that big wired box on the parcel shelf is...

Torben

Great work so far, lovin' it - I didn't know there was a resin cockpit available - did it come with this kit?

Regarding nose weight, I'd say as much as you can. I sealed and filled every conceivable section of the remaining nose space with Liquid Steel from Little-cars, a great product (kinda like odd shaped lead shot) sealed in with glue before I got a positive nose down balance. Mind you I extended the rear fuselage on mine which would have thrown the COG further back than on yours.

BTW - the radio in P39's were located behind the large access panels in the rear fuselage just ahead of the tailplane. I can never quite recall what that big wired box on the parcel shelf is...

Torben

Hi Torben,

The resin came with the Special Hobby kit as did the Eduard PE so its a good deal.  From what I can tell, its pretty good too.  The IP is a bit fragile as the left IP 'wing' has only a thin slice of resin connecting it to the main panel.  After breaking mine off multiple times I finally glued a wood stringer across the back and glued the left IP wing to that.  Problem solved.

The plastic cockpit parts look pretty good too, but the Eduard IP is really nice as you can see and there are not any instrument on the decal sheet.  

I will just have to see how much weight it will take.  I did get a bit spoiled doing the Eduard P-39 kits (1/48 scale) which come with a nose weight. 

As far as the radio, on the Q at least, the radio is behind the pilot on the shelf - using Bert Kinsey's Detail and Scale book as a reference (see Pages 39 and 49).  Definitely the equipment varied and I would not be surprised if the equipment shelf also housed batteries given what I've seen in some of the pictures.  On earlier models there may have been a radio in the fuselage compartment but the right side of the back glass was hinged to allow for easy access to equipment behind the pilot so I'm pretty sure those boxes are radios.

But with Airacobras, you never know!

I really want to model one sometime with one of the cockpit door window's partially rolled down.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it but I'm sure people have.

Thanks for commenting!

Chris

Hi Torben,

The resin came with the Special Hobby kit as did the Eduard PE so its a good deal.  From what I can tell, its pretty good too.  The IP is a bit fragile as the left IP 'wing' has only a thin slice of resin connecting it to the main panel.  After breaking mine off multiple times I finally glued a wood stringer across the back and glued the left IP wing to that.  Problem solved.

The plastic cockpit parts look pretty good too, but the Eduard IP is really nice as you can see and there are not any instrument on the decal sheet.  

I will just have to see how much weight it will take.  I did get a bit spoiled doing the Eduard P-39 kits (1/48 scale) which come with a nose weight. 

As far as the radio, on the Q at least, the radio is behind the pilot on the shelf - using Bert Kinsey's Detail and Scale book as a reference (see Pages 39 and 49).  Definitely the equipment varied and I would not be surprised if the equipment shelf also housed batteries given what I've seen in some of the pictures.  On earlier models there may have been a radio in the fuselage compartment but the right side of the back glass was hinged to allow for easy access to equipment behind the pilot so I'm pretty sure those boxes are radios.

But with Airacobras, you never know!

I really want to model one sometime with one of the cockpit door window's partially rolled down.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it but I'm sure people have.

Cheers Chris for the info on the Q variant, to be honest I've probably got that book stashed away somewhere and as you say, you never know with Airacobras!

I wish mine had come with the resin interior - I sure it would have saved quite a bit of work! :doh: Mine came with the printed PE but only resin exhausts

Seeing this one come together so nicely is a great incentive for me to try and find time for tickling along on my Winkle Brown catapult trials version (about 3/4 built). Funnily enough I'm planing to half open the windows on mine and have removed them already in prep as I've gone totally to town so far on the cockpit interior.

Mind you, at the speed I build I suspect you may well beat me to model that feature on your next P39 build even if you waited a while  :)

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Torben,

Thanks for your comments and following along.  The fit still has some challenges - I had a big problem getting the nose gear compartment together but that is pretty well hidden  :innocent: and I still have no idea what is happening with the machine guns - VERY interested to see how yours turns out - but I do like the rest of the cockpit and the PE details.

So here is a bit of the fit issue on the wing root intakes that needs some working on.:

lD3Hs2.jpg

The shapes of the intake are a bit funky too, but when they are gloss black I'm sure the shape won't be too noticeable.  The leading edge is going to take a bit of filler too not to mention filling in the holes:

0sUeTO.jpg

I probably could have done a bit more of the sanding and prefitting, but knowing I have a bunch of seams to deal with I'm ok working on the gaps.

Speaking of the wing root intakes - there is no backing plate provided by the kit.  So I fashioned two out of the former cockpit floor.  :thumbsup:

oCCNzJ.jpg

But it is a fun kit to put together.  I'm trying to decide if its worth trying to find some resin tires/wheels for the bird but I've only found the Eduard Brassin for the KH kit.  Anyone know if they fit the SH kit as well?  Also thought about doing it 'wheels up' to really show the black bottom but if still thinking of a set of metal legs and resin tyres.  For what I thought would be an OOB build, I'm kind of taking it in some different directions.

But I'm enjoying the build so that's what's important. :punk:

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Super progress on the P-39. Front office looks terrific and  nice work the PE seatbelts - they look real good and more fabric like then stiff PE :)

Yup, nothing like well fitting parts and the wing leading edges with the gun ports are a gem , not to mention the intakes.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Torben and Peter! 

Sooo on a lark I ordered the SAC legs and the Brassin resin last night before I saw your message so I'll take a really good look at them.  I don't usually just buy stuff I have not read up on so lesson learned not to just buy on a whim.  At least they were inexpensive!

I was planning some outside activities this afternoon (including working to fix some of the side-swipe damage on my car from last year) but the temps fell from 60's yesterday, to 30's today sooo I guess I just have to bite the bullet and keep working on the 'Cobra.

And just for fun, started a HobbyCraft Nieuport 17 last night too. I'm feeling Duchess Arlene coming on in the near future....

Chris 

If i remember rightly when I built mine I fixed the upper nose hatch in place with a big blob of Blu Tac, did the paint work, then after I had fitted the U/C I removed the hatch and added lead until I had enough to stop it being a tail sitter, and yes the air intakes were a pain to sand down.

Cheers

Dennis

Making headway - checking the seams before another coat of primer.  Definitely will take a file to the openings and see if they can be reshaped a bit.

dRODBl.jpg

Also finally figured out that if the guns have been removed, the shell ejector openings need to be closed up as well.  Soo broke out the Bare Metal Foil - first time this has been used in many years.  Probably will use it on the oleos as well.

CmW8GY.jpg

J8nBpL.jpg

Got the primer coat on as well.  The BMF is VERY smooth so probably should have run a sanding pad over it to rough it up a bit, but this will not be masked over so not going to worry about it.

wC6fMk.jpg

SO with another primer coat getting closer.  One thing I found out tonight - using the Vallejo primer - white in these pics - but used their black primer on another aircraft and the black primer is SHINY!!  :coolio:  Full gloss, while the white is full flat. Smooth, but flat.  Very strange...

62zGIX.jpg

Tomorrow ideally will finish off the seams and then wait for the canopy masks and undercarriage to show up on Thursday.  So next weekend should get the black gloss coat on.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll