Klinkity-Klank. Finished a Tank 23/07/17

Gazzas

Hi All,

Got the three tone camo and the first bit of color modulation done.   For color modulation at this stage, I just lightened each color with white paint and hit the base colors with little sprits from my airbrush.  The Schurzen complicated everything, of course.  I had to hold them on with friction, bluetack, and tape through the process.

141441.jpg

141421.jpg

Some of the spots are easy to see, some not so much.

So many steps to go....

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

HI Joel,

And thank you.  The good thing about this stage of the war, concerning German 3-tone camouflage, is that the troops were issued containers of paint in brown and green.  This paint could be thinned with water, solvents, or fuel.  And could be applied either buy brush or sprayer.  So, anything was possible.  Later in the war, the three-tone was applied at the factory.

So, for this machine, I've tried as faithfully as my limited faculties allowed, to follow the scheme in the directions.  But I could have applied one of the hundreds of schemes to be seen  on the web.  My limiting factor was the decals supplied and my small stash of decals.  This machine is simply titled "unknown machine, Eastern Front".  The only decals supplied are the Balkenkreuz.

Gaz

Guest Peterpools

Gary

Terrific work on the armor and enjoying catching up. Cammo looks good and I'm following your weathering procedure. I'm not a weathering guy either for the most part but do appreciated it when well do.

Keep it coming

Peter

Peter,

Thank you! Glad to see you again. I'm still at the point where weathering is far from a science, so I feel a bit like an explorer with each build.

Gaz

Gary,

Just remember, less is more. It's far easier to add after letting it seat for a day or so, then over doing it, and then trying to paint your way back to where  you were. 

Joel

Mustang,

Thank you! With your skills, I reckon any armor you do would come out top-notch.

Gaz

I do thank you for your generous comments. The thing for me is I do months worth of research before I'd tackle something like this and then stress a small amount (not too much as the aim is to have fun) on getting it just "right". 

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last few hours trying to further my skills with pastels.   The forms I've been working on today were color modulation and rust.  So, I'd really appreciate your honest opinions on the rusty muffler, especially.

One thing nice about color modulation with pastels is that it helps to get rid of some unwanted overspray.

135634.jpg

135357.jpg

To modulate the Panzer Yellow, I used white and yellow pastels

To modulate the Brown, I used some burnt umber pastels

And to modulate the Green, I used three shades of green as an experiment.

Finally, the rust was done with red, orange, burnt umber, and yellow.  I also hit the hull schurzen brackets with rust.

So, when it comes to a rusty muffler...does it look believable?

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Gary,

You're making progress with your weathering in leaps and bounds. 

The rust on the muffler really looks quite good. I'm having a hard time seeing all the variations of tones in the colors due to the harsh outside light. But what I can see does have a realistic look to it. 

Joel