Rivet templates

Mike - I am thinking I might do a small run for those interested (though there are only two tools a 10cm one and a 16cm one) - I just need to figure out a covering cost and shipping - I won't do it from my website, anyone who is interested just add your name on here and I will PM at the end of this month to get details etc.

Peter

Peter, I sure be interested in one. So, please add my name to your list. Also, I see you are already thinking about circles and such with rivets, so will it be possible to add different size squares & rectangles with rivet if possible? Modern jet has plenty of those panels. TIA

Mike

Greetings All,

It looks as though theres been much discussion about this. Im glad to see it. Ive been working on this as you know. Peters been working on it as well and has come up with some very interesting solutions...as he always does.

For what its worth, I might have found a solution to the intersection issue...at least for me. Ive included a photo to show you what Ive been dealing with. I like Peters approach, and it led me to re-evaluate my process.

I had been using a lateral datum upon which to build the  rivet pattern. In this instance, I used a verticle datum by putting in the center rib (#3) rivet line first, then branching everything off of it. The center rib is the only one that goes from the LE to the TE. It worked fine. That isn't to say it was easy. It took a great deal of forward thinking and time.

Anway...here is the first one:

Technically poor photo, but It shows the way the Mustang tail plane is riveted. The pattern is taken from NAA DWG 117-21002, Horizontal Stab.

The lower one shows the stab as its started using the center rib as the datum. Some of the rivets will need re-punching to clean them up. Im still unsure how to finish the surface. Fortunately, I have alot to practice on :)

IMG_1252.jpg

The pattern is good...scale...I dont like the rivets...needs improvement...

Edited by Ironwing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

parcel just arrived...

007_zpsejlf803u.jpg

008_zpszojjlgou.jpg

there are about 5 sets over which to cover costs will be £6 + postage so if you want one PM me quick as when they are gone, they are gone!

TTFN

Peter

• 1 month later...