Aerotech 1/32 Speed Spitfire

I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with the GB's first resin kit: Aerotech's new 1/32 Speed Spitfire. I've just published a review of this kit on the site and thought it would be ideal to build it straight away as an extension of the review process, and as a way of getting in on this GB.

For details of the kit, please see the review I linked to above, as I don't want to regurgitate it all here. I won't be able to start this straight away, as I still have my Matchbox Spitfire to finish, but I might try to slot it in after that. Maybe.

Kev

That's what I thought at first too, but then I discovered all that PE and white metal. This kit will certainly have its challenges, but should be easy compared to the H-1. I fully expect it to be easier than the Matchbox Spitfire!

Kev

That looks like one solid chunk of resin there Kev (I already feel sorry for the white metal legs!). However, it does look gorgeous in the photo of the completed model, so I am looking forward to see this one being completed in record time!

:popcorn:

Derek

Nice looking plane! But, I am curious- Was there that much difference between the Speed, and an early mark Spitfire? Would a conversion kit be impractical as opposed to a complete kit? Just wondering...

Not sure Lee. A conversion kit might work, but I'm not sure of the exact extent of the modifications needed. The canopy is the most obvious one, but the wing tips are also different, and I think the arrangement of radiators below the wing is too. I guess the main reason for bringing out a full kit would be that, until the announced new Revell kit ships, there's been no decent 1/32 Mk 1 kit to base a conversion on. If you use one of the later kits, the conversion work begins to get more extensive, and the project less viable.

Kev

Wow awesome Kev.............nice choice. Bout damn time we got hooked up with some review samples like this...............we have some of the most inventive, persistent, and willing modelers on any site..............not to mention knowledgeable.

I have the Areotech DH-88 and although its the only kit of theirs I have (and looking a bit rough in spots) I can see the heavy handed family resemblance to the pics you displayed of the Speed Spit.

Really looking forward to watching this one progress..............and with the tenacity you showed on the XS Models racer, this should not present too much difficulty even with all the PE.

Looking forward to this one Kevin - I have the Aerotech Prototype Spitfire and it is pretty similar, so shall be using your build as a reference when I get around to mine!

Doug

Thanks for chiming in fellas. Still focusing on finishing my other Spitfire, but I'll get to this (and my other builds) once that's out of the way.

The instructions call for Royal Blue as the main colour, and Humbrol 78 for the internals. I had a tin of Humbrol 78, but used it all up on my last 2 Spitfire builds. I ordered some Tamiya Royal Blue (acrylic) from my favourite online supplier, but they don't carry Humbrol, and it's not worth going elsewhere for a single tin of paint. A commonly recommended alternative is Tamiya's XF-71, which is their IJN cockpit green from memory. It isn't even close in appearance to Humbrol 78, but it's what I've got, and given the controversy over Spitfire cockpit colours, it could well be just as accurate.

So, I've ordered the Royal Blue, some more Alclad Polished Aluminium to fix up the finish on my H-1, and a bottle of Mr Surfacer 500 to use on the panel lines on this one. And that's my hobby spend for the month!

Kev

Righto folks, finally underway with this one. First job was to clean up the resin parts with a toothbrush and warm soapy water:

SC69VP.jpg

Next I decided to test-fit the white metal internal bulkheads and see what I was in for:

A9thKc.jpg

nyXEf7.jpg

They actually just snap into place in their respective grooves inside the fuselage, which is quite impressive really! The gap at the top of the rear bulkhead is not as bad as it appears in the photo, as the angle and shadow tend to accentuate it. And when I push it firmly into place with my thumb, it all but disappears:

Bw80wd.jpg

So, it doesn't look like I'm going to have too many issues there!

Next task was to test the fit of the crucial wing-to-fuselage joins:

w7mWwG.jpg

3Bpg6P.jpg

BhbPZt.jpg

Bear in mind that the two large resin parts are just held together with two pieces of tape, so I'm pretty happy with that. The wing is pretty flat in both directions, so needs to be coerced into conforming with the fuselage in the front-to-rear direction, but as I said, the tape is holding it in place without much trouble, so it'll be fine once glued into position. There's not much dihedral, and given the thickness and stiffness of the one-piece resin wing, it's probably going to stay like that. I think it'll look OK.

Right, a bit more parts clean up and I can start on the cockpit I think.

More soon!

Kev