Quite a few personal curve balls thrown my way these past few months.  i'm happy to resume some much needed bench time.

Roy launched the release of his P40B wheel set.  I was planning on using HAS P40 "smooth" wheels to replace the hideous TRU kit wheels.  The HAS wheels are good.  The Barracuda P40B wheels knock everything available out of the park.

I'll compare the Barracuda wheels with the TRU P40B kit wheels.

P40_Wheels.01.jpg

P40_Wheels.02.jpg

P40_Wheels.03.jpg

Mr. Color 1500 Black Primer applied.

P40_Wheels.04.jpg

Time to lay some paint.

I'm a fan of Black Basing/Marbling technique.  It works well for me.  All paints are Mr. Color 306 Gray and 304 Olive Drab diluted 1:2 with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

P40_Paint.01.jpg

Mr. Color 306 Gray applied using my Mr. Color/Creos PS770 airbrush.

P40_Paint.02.jpg

Then Mr. Color 304 Olive Drab.

P40_Paint.03.jpg

Then a thinned 1:3 Mr. Color 306 Gray/Mr. Leveling Thinner on the lower and thinned 1:3 Mr. Color 304 Olive Drab/Mr. Leveling Thinner layered and blended on the appropriate marbled color.

P40_Paint.04.jpg

Thinned Tamiya Smoke has been applied aft of the cooling flaps.  This is phase one of weathering for this area.

P40_Paint.05.jpg

Exhaust NobleKraft NK3201 P40B resin exhausts replace kit multi piece nightmare.

P40_Paint.07.jpg

P40_Paint.06.jpg

Canopy masked inside and out then painted.

P40_Paint.08.Canopy.jpg

Edited by Rick K

Using Montex Masks the insignias and related markings are applied.  Colors used are Mr. Color 69 Off White, 326 Blue "Thunderbirds', 327 Red "Thunderbirds"  all thinned 1:2 paint/Mr Color Leveling Thinner.

The engine panel will be glued.  I gave the engine a quick paint as it can be seen through the exhaust and cooling flap openings.

P40_Mask.04.jpg

Start off with off white for ID number and national insignias.

P40_Mask.01.jpg

After 24 hour cure for the off white I begin adding the blue.

P40_Mask.03.jpg

P40_Mask.05.jpg

P40_Mask.06.jpg

P40_Mask.07.jpg

P40_Mask.08.jpg

Some lifting on the "S" will touch up later.  After cure will add red on insignias.

Edited by Rick K

great work on this P40 Trump model.

The P40B,C  hadn't recognition lights. It will be from P40E1 that reco lights will be fitted. Raf type: 1 white, upper on to fuselage aft the canopy and 1 amber under the right rear wing fillet or US army type: 1 white, upper on to fuselage aft the canopy & R under the rear keel fairing, G & A under the rear fuselage

great work on this P40 Trump model.

The P40B,C  hadn't recognition lights. It will be from P40E1 that reco lights will be fitted. Raf type: 1 white, upper on to fuselage aft the canopy and 1 amber under the right rear wing fillet or US army type: 1 white, upper on to fuselage aft the canopy & R under the rear keel fairing, G & A under the rear fuselage

ah, thanks for the information.  This will be our little secret, ok?  :)

Seeing red.  Red dot applied to the national insignia as well as tail stencil data.

P40_RedMask.01_1.jpg

Mr. Color 327 Red "Thunderbirds" thinned 1:2 paint/Mr Color Leveling Thinner.  I use multiple thin passes to prevent any bleeding through the mask.

P40_RedMask_2.jpgMasked removed.  Minor lifting to be addressed later.

P40_RedMask.09.jpg

Happy with results, now on to the tail stencil.

getPart-9.jpg

Mask applied to tail.

P40_RedMask.02.jpg

Tamiya NATO Black XF69 thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner 1:3 and...

P40_RedMask.06.jpg

Masked removed then Mr. Color 123 RLM 83 Dark Green to cover pursuit squadron number.  This method also applied to cover pursuit squadron number on inside wing.

P40_RedMask.08.jpg

Next is prep for panel line and washes.  Also give prop and landing gear some love too.

P40_Hawaii_White_300.jpg

P40B "White 300" at Bellows Field shows paint applied to cover pursuit squadron number and some mild weathering. 

Interesting to note the surface of aircraft is super flat while the surface around the prop hub back just beyond exhaust stacks has a slight sheen.  Certainly from ground grew guys servicing engine and nose guns.  What's with those shiny tires?

The pre-war red dot not visible on fuselage national insignia.   If you look real close you can see the slight image of the red dot on the under wing national insignia.

Note the absence of the "iron sights" in front of windscreen.

Edited by Rick K

• 3 weeks later...