Zoukei Mura A-1H Skyraider

BloorwestSiR

Ok, back to the Skyraider. I've assembled the fuselage now. There weren't any gaps but I did end up with a slight alignment issue on the upper panel. It's slightly offset at the rear so there is a small step. A bit of filler should fix it.

20170513_104755.jpg

20170513_104809.jpg

The other spot that needs some filler is the lower tail.

20170513_104822.jpg

It's a bit awkward to get to but it will be mostly obscured by the tailhook after it's installed.

While all that was drying, I started on the centre wing section.

20170507_212059.jpg

20170513_104647.jpg

Having read that the tolerences are on the tight side, I'm painting things as subassemblies.

The last bit that I've started has been the engine.

20170511_211018.jpg

This has been the fiddliest section yet. The cylinder banks are fussy in their alignment but once aligned, the fit is good.

20170513_104522.jpg

The pipes look to be a challenge so I think I'll be reviewing those closely before I commit to glue.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Absolutely amazing progress . How did you get hold of a copy of John B Super Quick Build Guide?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

That's really nice Carl, gonna look real chunky sat next to one of your many Spits......!!

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy! It'll stand out that's for sure. Although it'll have to go into a new cabinet as the first one is almost full with just Spitfires :)

Carl

Absolutely amazing progress . How did you get hold of a copy of John B Super Quick Build Guide?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Well, John got distracted by the news of the Tamiya 1D Corsair coming out so it wasn't hard to get it past his attention :P

Truthfully, the only person I knew who was as fast as John had to be Russ. He was unbelievably fast, and skilled too.

Okay, the engine is together. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

The two cylinder banks were painted silver and then given a light wash to bring out some of the detail.

20170514_141324.jpg

I then cleaned up the exhaust pipes add best I could while they were still attached to the sprues.

20170514_222010.jpg

I used Gunze burnt iron for those. Then everything was put together.

20170515_141516.jpg

The instructions have a couple different views to show the alignment for the pipes which helped out a lot.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Then I assembled the outer wings.

20170514_213922.jpg

20170515_141546.jpg

20170514_213938.jpg

Not much is seen of the inner detail, especially if you close up the access panels.

ZM has an addendum for the wing fold assembly on their website. This helps better explain things so I should encourage anyone building this kit to take a look at it.

After reading through it, I joined up the inner and outer wing sections.

20170516_105624.jpg

Once dry, I'll check the operation of the wing fold.

Carl,

Holy smokes, you're flying through this build at John B speed. I on the other hand would still be fusing with the cockpit. Of that I'm quite sure. And speaking of cockpits, yours turned out great. it actually looks way better once painted then in just raw plastic. My only concern is the throttle quadrant. Still looks like a bunch of plastic blobs, and for the price of the kit they should have spent more time with the details. As I posted, I opted for the Eduard PE. Your IP actually looks better then the Eduard's one which came with the interior PE set. I'm leaning on going down the same path as you did. 

Nice job getting the fuselage buttoned up. One question about the step from the spine part. Was it caused by a shift in alignment, or is it to small to correctly fit? 

The wings are really coming along quite nicely. Thanks for the tip about checking their site to aid in the folding mechanisms. Not sure which way I'll go, or do one folded, one down. But I put a sticky note in the box about it. 

One thing for sure, I'm really looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W