Italeri F-104J Starfighter in JASDF scheme. 203 Squadron

dmthamade

Well, looong time since update. I did manage to complete the ejection seat, used buckles, etc from Eduard and belt material from a set of RB productions belts. I know the colors for the belts are wrong, figured that out after i was done. Should have used another set, but forgot. I have to say, doing the belts took about four hours, tedious/precise/frustrating task!! Added the final parts and calling it done.

IMG_5564_zpsxtla0s3f.jpg

IMG_5563_zpsmzmj9m5i.jpg

IMG_5562_zps82hvn8nh.jpg

I have all fuselage seams done, paint is next.

IMG_5565_zpsci88lvtj.jpg

Don

Don, your 104 looks great! So too the ejection seat. I can't recall if you're in/near the GTA or not. If so, Wheels and Wings I believe have the Mig primer. I just tried the Mission Models primer and got mixed results so I'm back to Tamiya as well.

My right eye is full of floaters thanks to my oldest son socking me in the eye a couple years back. I ended up with a PVD injury which thankfully did not lead to a detached retina.

I've got eye surgery coming up in the guest week of July which if all goes well, will be the first time I'll be able to see without glasses or contacts since I was 3.

Carl

My right eye is full of floaters thanks to my oldest son socking me in the eye a couple years back. I ended up with a PVD injury which thankfully did not lead to a detached retina.

I've got eye surgery coming up in the guest week of July which if all goes well, will be the first time I'll be able to see without glasses or contacts since I was 3.

Carl

Carl,

Good luck with your eye surgery. I only know to well about Retina disease, so I'm pulling for you to make a complete recovery.  

BTW, no more wearing glasses will make you look 10 years younger.

Joel

Don, your 104 looks great! So too the ejection seat. I can't recall if you're in/near the GTA or not. If so, Wheels and Wings I believe have the Mig primer. I just tried the Mission Models primer and got mixed results so I'm back to Tamiya as well.

Carl

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!! Making some progress. I'm in Pickering, Carl, not a big drive to Wheels and Wings, i usually make a list and go once every two months. I've seen the MiG products there, though the Tamiya stuff has never let me down. Good luck on your eye surgery, Carl. Life without glasses or contacts should be real nice. This is a long weekend for us in Canada, spent time putting paint down. Pretty straightforward, tone of the grey and the different metallics changes aircraft to aircraft. Flipped a coin and on went the paint...

IMG_5575_zpsu3aom8sd.jpg

IMG_5576_zpshhabmu4e.jpg

IMG_5577_zps4rau5vdr.jpg

IMG_5578_zpskzfntkw5.jpg

Planning on clearcoating the build this afternoon, planning on decals during the week.

Don

Some nice progress there Don. Happy Victoria Day to you!

I'm having ICL surgery done which is very similar to cataract surgery. In my case, they're putting in a lens which will correct my vision. I can't wait.

I think I make it to Wheels and Wings at about the same frequency as you do even though it's only on the other side of the city for me. Just too many other things going​ on. They are a great bunch though.

Carl

Is it one eye or two that are affected, carl? Will this give you 20/20 or close to it? I did manage to do the decals over a few days, and a few days more to get them settled. The hasegawa decals put up a fight to get settled, but eventually behaved themselves. I did have to use some of the Italeri decals, they were a treat to work with. Some pics.

IMG_5584_zps1uynlrki.jpg

IMG_5585_zpsykqixnbq.jpg

IMG_5586_zps9oufmtmi.jpg

I sealed these this AM, i should be able to do a panel line wash tomorrow AM.

Don

Thanks for the feedback, guys!! The light grey is going to make it easy to use the wrong wash, black will be much too dark. Going to experiment, i'm thinking a medium to light grey will be a better choice. Stencils....JASDF planes ALWAYS have stencils, drives you nuts having to apply them but the build looks wrong without them.

Don