IL-2M3 Sturmovik by Hobby Boss

Oops! Don, I just noticed you left off the antenna and that pesky rudder balance (by the way, I now remove that on purpose before building as it invariably gets knocked off during assembly, as you found out). Whilst you're at it, you might want to add the VV-1 external gunsight. If you've nothing else to do. Still a beautiful Il-2!

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Thanks for the positive  feedback, guys!! Means a lot. The antenna on the canopy i have, but i usually add things like that right before placing it in the display case. The "tadpole"..... i tried scratchbuilding it, twice!! Didn't look anything near what i needed. What i'm going to do is wait it out, i've lost parts for other builds that eventually turn up, just found the gascap for my Spitfire from the Edgar Brooks GB!! You are right, Jason. If i were to do another one the counterbalance would be removed first and put somewhere safe. I need to thank you Jason for all your advice and knowledge and John AKA Mywifehatesmodels for his build post, both helped a lot!! Gunsight "should" be easy to do, couldn't figure out the windscreen sight, yet. Hey Shaka HI, ya gonna join the GB!!??

Don

You're very welcome, Don, and glad to be of assistance! Regarding that rudder balance, that is the bane of every modeller who's attempted an Il-2. As I noted, I now pre-emptively remove it, so I won't lose it during assembly when I invariably knock it off. Like your antenna, it goes on at the very end. Amongst my many Il-2 relics, I own the top part of the rudder. The actual balance is made of steel, about the size and shape of a good-sized pickle, and attached to a steel post by two bolts. The entire assembly is then attached to the top of the rudder with flanges. You couldn't knock the real item off with a nine-pound sledgehammer - would that the plastic representations were so sturdy! Below is a photograph of the original article.

Best Regards,

Jason

CIMG0156_zpscdsmhmze.jpg

Edited by Learstang

Thanks, guys!! I whined a bit about the build but really it wasn't too bad, nothing a bit of dryfitting and a bit of plastic stock can't fix. That balance looks like a weapon all by itself!! whether you swing it or throw it, i'm sure it would be lethal!! Stories it could tell... where did you get that from?

Don

eBay of course! You'd be surprised what you can pick up. If I'd had the money, I could have reconstructed the instrument panel just from the bits and bobs that appear on eBay from time to time. Right now there's a tail wheel fork that purports to be from an Il-2 (and it rather looks like it is). My prize possession is the upper half of a wooden fin with the paint largely intact, complete with part of the star! My next would have to be a full pane of armoured glass (lower left-hand corner from the look of it). It's almost intact and weighs a tonne! Right now it serves as a base for an Eastern Express/Dakoplast 1/72nd scale single-seater.

Regards,

Jason