28 replies to this topic

#16 Elger

Elger

LSP Member

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

I didn't mind splurging a little on the set. It is expensive, but the parts are an improvement over the kit parts. Whether the improvement justifies the cost is another matter. Here are some pictures comparing the resin to the kit parts:

gh6HiCf.jpg

YBYtgv1.jpg

EI4Q4Ee.jpg

f7jREKK.jpg

here's my completed one:

vJVG9Qg.jpg

• dmthamade, iang, Harold and 5 others like this

#17 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:24 AM

I didn't mind splurging a little on the set. It is expensive, but the parts are an improvement over the kit parts. Whether the improvement justifies the cost is another matter. Here are some pictures comparing the resin to the kit parts:

gh6HiCf.jpg

YBYtgv1.jpg

EI4Q4Ee.jpg

f7jREKK.jpg

here's my completed one:

vJVG9Qg.jpg

Your model there looks very nice indeed!

And yes, when you put the parts side by side, you can see which one has the greater detail, and it is the Eduard part.

My point is that had you stuck with the Tamiya engine parts, once the entire plane was finished, one would not necessarily notice a lack of detail coming from the engine compartment.  To the eye it would seem suitably detailed and busy and it would not stand out as a weak point of the kit.

So does adding the Eduard extra detail improve the kit?  Sort of!  I would rate it very low on a list of factors that make a good looking model, however.  

A very clean build, an excellent paint job with proper scaled down colors, and proper weathering are all much more important to the final appearance IMO.  

PS: I have bought many Eduard aftermarket resin products with some success, some failures!

Edited by ringleheim, 16 February 2018 - 12:25 AM.

#18 Bstarr3

Bstarr3

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:11 AM

I agree - the thing with many resin aftermarket parts - at least for well detailed kits like Tamiya - is that if you looked at the kit, you'd say "wow, what a well detailed [engine, cockpit, etc]!" But if you look at it next to the resin, all you can see us how much more detailed the resin part is
  • dmthamade likes this

Current project: Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FB VI

#19 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

I have thought about their Corsair engine for a repair dio, since the Tamiya cylinders are two pieces and require some cleanup. But this just seems like gold-plating to me. Still, seeing the completed resin engine, I could certainly see how some of us would want that extra 10% of detail.

Edited by Bill Cross, 16 February 2018 - 10:08 PM.

• dmthamade likes this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#20 DannyVM

DannyVM

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

Stop weeping about prices. If it's to expensive just don't buy it. :whistle:

Eduard Brassin stuff is superior compare to kit part's and i'm happy to pay the price for that. That said, 64.40€ for two beautifully detailed resin engines is a fair price. 

• dmthamade, scvrobeson, mozart and 1 other like this

28XK8T9m.jpg

#21 Mark_C

Mark_C

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Eduard Brassin stuff is superior compare to kit part's and i'm happy to pay the price for that. That said, 64.40€ for two beautifully detailed resin engines is a fair price. 

thanks - but I prefer to express my opinion as to whether something is of good value.

#22 BradG

BradG

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

It is a lot for a minor upgrade. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to spend that money on their model, but personally I've pretty much stopped buying a lot of these upgrade sets or extra detail stuff long ago as often the detail I add and spend money on will almost never be seen. Even things like seat belts are becoming expensive these days, as an example for my Sabre I'm building in the GB, I bought it for $40 from the LHS, but seat belts would cost me 3/4 the price of the model! I'd much rather buy another model for that money and live with the no seat belts in the Sabre.

However, you've not seen silly prices until you go to buy English willow cricket bats. Some of the top brands are now costing over $1500, for a cricket bat. Some people are prepared to pay that, but as I'm just a park cricketer, I refuse to spend that kind of money even though I open the batting.

• dmthamade likes this

#23 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

This is an interesting subject.............. IF I were to buy the engine, as an example..... it would because I would want a piece of eye candy, that looked good and knowing my detailing skills SUCK, it would seem that may fit my build..... that being said, IF I was to buy the engine, and it has crossed my mind, I would buy it if I could afford to  toss the money out, and if I REALLY wanted it..................... I always keep in my mind, model purchases, and accessory purchases are a 'want. not a 'need', and if I "want" it and I can afford it I BUY it................ just my 2 cents worth..... but still a very interesting thread......it's nice to know how you guys feel about all the after market stuff......

#24 mozart

mozart

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

thanks - but I prefer to express my opinion as to whether something is of good value.

That's the great thing about our community here on LSP, we're all entitled to express our opinions!  :innocent:

Max

• dmthamade and Jeff like this

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk

#25 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:55 PM

Stop weeping about other people weeping.  :whistle:

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#26 DannyVM

DannyVM

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

Stop weeping about other people weeping.   :whistle:

Why......because you said so.....no i think not...... :clap2:  :clap2:

28XK8T9m.jpg

#27 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

I cannot understand why people cannot understand other peoples behaviour.

I'm dizzy now and need to lie down for a while :)

A day above ground is, in my opinion, a good day.  :D

#28 Daniel460

Daniel460

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:54 AM

I have no problem with the product and quality of Eduards AM. But their prices have gone crazy over the last few years, like Mark_C I use to buy their etch sets for every kit I bought....Aircraft and Armor.  I haven't bought a Eduard set in a few years... just can't afford it anymore and sadly it's getting that way with model kits in general.

Dan

#29 JamesHatch

JamesHatch

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

No one is forcing anyone to buy it. Too expensive for little return? Then don't buy it.

For the rest of us, we have the option.

sig.jpg

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Busman, Peterpools