1:32 Tornado GR1, operation desert storm.

viperfixer

Cooooooool!

I like it a lot.................really looks great. I know some dont like this type of PE, and considering too "fiddly" but I think stuff like this is the diff between a good build and a great one. Just MHO though.

I used a similar type set for my SU-30 and was very happy I went though the extra work to assemble and paint them. I think in the end you will be very happy you did as well............especially compared to the OOB parts.

Looking forward to more.................. :D

Cheers,

Thank you all very much!

Cooooooool!

I like it a lot.................really looks great. I know some dont like this type of PE, and considering too "fiddly" but I think stuff like this is the diff between a good build and a great one. Just MHO though.

I used a similar type set for my SU-30 and was very happy I went though the extra work to assemble and paint them. I think in the end you will be very happy you did as well............especially compared to the OOB parts.

Looking forward to more.................. :D

Cheers,

Don't know how it will be when you use CE glue, but mine are actually pretty strong, solid pieces. Not "fiddly" at all.

Please cut out a square hole on the right side of the aircraft behind the wing glove are for the apu exhaust and not use the black decal that usually comes with the kit.

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Tornado/Images/0453.jpg

Yes, I'm aware of that and will try to make it look like an actual exhaust, but thanks for the reminder!

Yes, I'm aware of that and will try to make it look like an actual exhaust, but thanks for the reminder!

What I do is get a piece of square plasti-rod, make a 45deg cut. This surface is glued to the inside against the inner face of the exhaust bulkhead. Before it is attached I make a straight cut a few mm along and blank it off. This should do the trick.

Go to almost the bottom of page two of my stalled build to get a better idea.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Tornado_SIG/index.php?showtopic=499&st=15

Some more work done. One fuel tank completed. After a lot of work it turned out pretty good. Ready for paint now. Still a lot to do on the other though.

pqd7.jpg

7dwp.jpg

Decided to use the kit pylons for them instead of the flightpath ones that are in the set. They are better in surface detail, but the fit on the wings is a bit strange:

uoay.jpg

Flightpath.

qf19.jpg

Revell.

Vertical tail and wings assembled and primed. Fit was very good, just a bit of work to get them seamless. And some ejector pin marks that were on the inside of the wing halves were showing on the upper surface, but that was easy to fix. One wing turned out perfect after the first coat of primer, the other one has just two small spots that need correction. Great kit!

0i4e.jpg

rpjs.jpg

Finally I assembled the nose radome with the Air Master pitot tube and flightpath PE lightning deflectors. Will be difficult to paint now because part will be black and the aft area desert sand with the PE parts metal, but I figured this would give the best result assembly-wise so to say. Ready for primer now.

59kk.jpg

y8qf.jpg

Finally ordered some paint that will be delivered tomorrow, so I should be able to show you guys some colors soon!

Edited by viperfixer

Just a small update. Working towards building the fuselage now, so started on the cockpit. Spend many hours on the internet trying to find what's the right color for it, but I only found a lot of conflicting information. So I just looked at the paint I had and picked what looked close to me, and that was Gunze H307. So here is what I got so far, first real paint other then primer on this one, but still mostly grey. A lot left to do, just made a start with the detail painting, but it's a start. Hopefully it will look good after dry brush, a wash and a dull coat.

g0y0.jpg

o9re.jpg

qtqw.jpg

jtyd.jpg

85ui.jpg

r8hf.jpg

Hopefully more soon!

This just gets better and better :clap2:

Regards your pylons....the Revell ones are the better fit due to them having the spring loaded front fairing that allows the leading edge of the pylon to remain in contact with the wing at the different wing sweep angles .

Andy

Here's the rest of the work I've done during my holidays, started work again today. Managed to finish the cockpit tub and close the forward fuselage on my last day off. Had a bit of trouble with the wash, in some area's it wouldn't get of anymore. Probably my clear coat wasn't thick enough. But it's mostly in the lower parts near and on the floor that you can't see anymore with the seats installed.

IP's are still in progress, but not very far from finished, just a few touch ups, some screens to make. They're not glued in position yet. Still have to start with the seat, but no hurry there, they will be placed after painting the plane.

Did some work on one canopy sill to see how it would work. I will use the Flightpath ones cause they look much better then what came with the Aires cockpit. I think it's better to glue them in place after painting, that will be much easier.

Also experimented a bit with the aft fuselage to make the horizontals removable to ease removing the seam that for sure will be there when constructed. I used the wreckage of my old tornado for that, very helpful. I put a block of millyput on the inside and after it cured I drilled out a hole in which an aluminum tube fits. This makes a very strong construction that ensures a good and solid fit of the horizontals so that they don't start to hang. It also strengthens the aft portion of the fuselage because it sticks to the plastic very well. Good stuff that Millyput! Pretty sure I'll use this method on the real model.

So that's about it, here's the pics.

5dgz.jpg

gorb.jpg

7cvz.jpg

07tg.jpg

ttny.jpg

x7w4.jpg

uog.JPG

axsi.jpg

6jzu.jpg

That's it, thanks for watching!

Thanks, guys!

Good luck with the seat belts.

Sounds like they will be a nightmare! I'll put that on hold for now and do some easy things first for a while. Some basic construction would be nice.