Dragon 1/48 Fw 190A-8

LSP_Kevin

Some of you may remember my Otaki 1/48 Fw 190 build, from back in January. That one took about a week. This kit was meant to be a companion build, but was a serious struggle to put together. It's been two-thirds finished since February, so needing a break from working on the website, I decided to indulge in my first bit of modelling since Easter and finish it off. I used Aeromaster stickers and some True Details wheels. This kit is superior to the Otaki unit in every way except buildability. I'll tell you its story after the photos.

01b.jpg

04b.jpg

02b.jpg

03b.jpg

I bought this kit for cheap at a swap'n'sell; it was bagged with no decals and photocopied instructions. The seller told me it was the Tamiya kit. Not knowing the difference, I trundled off happily with purchase. Months later, when I finally opened the bag, I had my doubts. There was no evidence of who the manufacturer was, but I was pretty certain it wasn't Tamiya. Comparing it to the other Dragon kit I had in my stash confirmed its provenance. The photocopied instructions though, contained references to parts that were not only not in the kit, but didn't seem to belong to an Fw 190 at all! It was only then that it dawned on me that this was actually the discarded portion of one of Dragon's Mistel kits.

And as it happened, it looked like it had been left out in the sun at some point, because both fuselage halves were badly warped in multiple directions, with a severe pinch about the wing roots. When it came time to build the model, I had to force the wing roots to meet the top wing halves with a sprue spreader; the gap was around 5mm collectively. The fuselage still has a bad twist in it, especially at the tail, and it completely threw off the fit of the already-difficult multi-part cowling. It's the closest I've ever come to declaring a model unbuildable, and not bothering. However, I persevered, and even though it has a lot of faults, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out considering.

As always, thanks for looking fellas.

Kev

Well done Kev,

It looks great considering the agg you had with it. Do you remember who sold you the kit...some of those fellas are just about regulars? Either way sticking at it has proved worthwhile. 200 lashes for the man that said it was the Tamiya kit. Innocent mistake or dodgy brother?

Cheers Matty

Thanks fellas, much appreciated! Matty, no idea who sold it to me, but I'm not overly bothered now whether it was a mistake or a con. Only cost $8! I'm just hoping that my other two examples of this kit are in better shape.

Kev

Very cool indeed. I have the Hasegawa 1:32 kit to get to one of these days, actually three of them.

Thanks Kevin. It's funny you should mention the Hasegawa kit. I've got an example of each of their old and new tool kits in my stash. The elder of the two is the one I'm using for my 190S conversion. Last night I decided to pull the new-tool kit out of the stash and give it a bit of a look-over, and was quite surprised at how plain it is. I actually reckon this 20+ year-old Dragon kit (Trimaster moulds) has better surface detail - some of the most petite I've ever seen actually. The detail in the wheel bays looked better too. Don't get me wrong, I think the Hasegawa kit looks fine, but I was taken aback by how sophisticated its smaller and much older cousin really is.

Kev

Excellent work, Kevin!

I actually prefer the looks of the Dragon kit over Eduard. Especially the cowl. I have four Dragon kits in the works, right now (three A-5s and one A-8, but they'll likely end up being A-5, A-6 and A-7 by the time I'm done).

Thanks for posting,

John