Questions related to Me109 sets 32038 & 32135

thierry laurent

Hello,

Hopefully, somebody will clarify these two points:

The set 32038 has a nice G5 scheme. The instruction sheet shows a simplified view of the armor with the two small windows fixed on the rear part of the canopy. The drawing shows two cylinder-shaped objects on the internal side of the armor. Personally, I've never seen them in the technical manual views dedicated to the pressurization system, in the preserved G1 and G5 airframes or in the rare bad wartime pics showing this area. Does anybody know what they are and if there is a better view of them? The pressurized planes has a pressurizing and relief valves on each side of the rear bulkhead. Are we considering here an alternate location for such valves?

The set 32135 shows a very nice Friedrich in white winter camo used by Hans Ekkehard Bob. The instruction sheet gives yellow 2 or 3 options. I'm puzzled as I only found pictures of a his F-2s in winter camo with a yellow 1 or 9 codes! The only yellow 3 I found was an early Gustav...! So, in spite of the fact the Jagdwaffe series is mentioned as a reference, were the decals based on other (private) pictures? Help!

Thanks in advance.

Hello Thierry;

The drawings included were produced by Jean-Claude Mermet which he said he took from a Bf 109 manual. Most of the photos I know of showing this armor plate, sealing off the cockpit, has those cylinders removed or re-located. The G-1 and G-5 pressurized systems were plagued with problems and many of them were disengaged. In the photos I have of G-5s, they cylinders are not there.

The photo of the Bf 109 F in the Jagdwaffe series on page 293 is not "Yellow 9". During an interview with Hans Ekkehard-Bob, he was adamant that it was "Yellow 2" or "Yellow 3". The bottom  photo on page 296 of the Jagdwaffe book of "Yellow 9" is a different aircraft than the Bf 109 F on page 293.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jerry

Thanks very much!

You confirmed what I found in my references with regard to the G5! So, I won't put the cylinders on the armor. I will put the valves on the bulhead as shown in the TM views I have!

Ok, I checked the jagdwaffe book as well as the more recent book published by Bergstrom & Sundin (airpower edition). So, I'll go for 2 or 3.

BR

Thierry

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry/ Thierry

Here's a photo that came out of a manual. Not sure which one at the moment.

10595850886_15237547d3_o.jpg

I assume this is the installation you were thinking of?

I can't imagine this was the production installation, I mean the poor pilot! I wonder if this is a trial setup and the operational setup was that with these units attached to the bulkhead either side of the seat.

Matt