1/32 Boeing F4b4 - almost naked

Hi all!

I thought my thread is forgotten, because I didn't make any update so long. But I see my friends you took me to the blackboard.

I had many problems with f...bucket. I had to pay to save my thread and I will move my photos on private server. I don't want to justify my absence on forum but as always I had no time to make updates. This stollen time was assigned on building model.

Thank you for your kind comments I send one photo of my model. You can see some progress, ailerons, wires, stars on wings and many small parts which I can't remember . I think about base and exposition of my model slowly.

IMG_0794_zpsisb6apth.jpg

I reserved my first post in this forum (hello fellas) for this thread, because it was reading through this thread that made me want to register.  This is an absolutely beautiful model, any chance we can get more photos of the entire plane?

Only issue I can see is that I believe those wing ribs were wood in the real aircraft, not metal as painted.  The construction is very similar to the PT-17 (which I am building)  According to the NASM website:

Still, your model is marvelous and I love it!!

Best, Bil

Thank you Bill for comment and I'm glad that my thread made you to register on this awesome forum. Returning to the wings I supposed that someone named this Boeing wooden-winged because of it's mahogany spars. I examined many photos and I think that there are metal ribs. You can see construction of the wing on the background this photo.

f4b-4%20027_zps8bhnlcvh.jpg

Regards

Tomasz

Edited by tomaszhajzler

IMG_0794_zpsisb6apth.jpg

Thank you Bill for comment and I'm glad that my thread made you to register on this awesome forum. Returning to the wings I supposed that someone named this Boeing wooden-winged because of it's mahogany spars. I examined many photos and I think that there are metal ribs. You can see construction of the wing on the background this photo.

f4b-4%20027_zps8bhnlcvh.jpg

Regards

Tomasz

Tomasz, thanks for the update, it is a stunning model.

As for the wing ribs, I really do not want to insult your work or your research as it is top notch, but, I truly believe they are wood, as can be seen in the reconstruction (three F4FBs) being built here:  Roy Rehm Workshop

the construction, like I said in my original post is similar to the PT-17 Stearman (which I am building in 1:16 scale)... wood wing ribs and spar with metal ailerons. 

Why wouldn't the construction be similar?  Same factory designed and built both planes about the same time, and looking at your build, and the images on the website I linked above I can see a lot of comparable design features.

newcam-019.jpg

As for the wing ribs, I really do not want to insult your work or your research as it is top notch, but, I truly believe they are wood, as can be seen in the reconstruction (three F4FBs) being built here:  Roy Rehm Workshop

the construction, like I said in my original post is similar to the PT-17 Stearman (which I am building in 1:16 scale)... wood wing ribs and spar with metal ailerons. 

Why wouldn't the construction be similar?  Same factory designed and built both planes about the same time, and looking at your build, and the images on the website I linked above I can see a lot of comparable design features.

newcam-019.jpg

Bill, why didn't you register on forum few years earlier, I think my build could be easier. I have never found this restoration link, what's a pity. They are restoring earlier models of this plane (no one is f4b4 as on caption) but construction must be similar.

Regards

Tomasz

Edited by tomaszhajzler

newcam-019.jpg

Hi Bil

Thank you for your post. Your comment was very important. Do you know what I'm doing? I started repainting today. It will not be a piece of cake, specially center section of top wing but I have no choice. It can take me week maybe two but it's nothing compare to more than five years of work.

This man, Roy Rehm, has made awesome restoration of e few Boeings. Here link to film on youtube from his kingdom: 

Regards

Tomasz

Hi Bil

Thank you for your post. Your comment was very important. Do you know what I'm doing? I started repainting today. It will not be a piece of cake, specially center section of top wing but I have no choice. It can take me week maybe two but it's nothing compare to more than five years of work.

This man, Roy Rehm, has made awesome restoration of e few Boeings. Here link to film on youtube from his kingdom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq5HhAvPP78

Regards

Tomasz

You are following the footsteps of a much-revered master, Tomasz!

Leonardo Da Vinci was known to go back over his best works over time as he found he could enhance them.

After a while, your "masterpiece-in-the-making" becomes like an old familiar friend-never too late for improvements. ;)

Leonardo DaVinci was known to go back over his best works over time as he found he could enhance them.

Hi Bil

This man, Roy Rehm, has made awesome restoration of e few Boeings. Here link to film on youtube from his kingdom: 

Regards

Tomasz

I'm happy I could be of some help to you, not so happy that it requires you to repaint the wing ribs.. but I can't wait to see the end result!

That video is amazing, thanks for including that. 

Bil

Edited by Bil

• 1 month later...