Not another ROG P-51D Mustang? Lets call her done!

1to1scale

Guest Clunkmeister

Looking awesome!

Now hit it hard with the ugly stick and make it look like it's travelled 500,000 miles.

This is coming along superb!

Boy, I'll tell ya....this kit has been a nut buster at times. I used more filler and sanding sticks on this than the Hobbycraft P-51. I figured it was going to be a quick 1-2 week build for fun, no aftermarket parts. I was wrong, this thing fought me all the way. Everything was close, but not quite good enough. I had to pull out all the finishing tricks before the final coat of primer went on, but in the end, it came out beautiful. I honestly think I would have spent the same amount of time building a Tamiya. But, I would definitely build one again. The Eaglecals were way too glossy and made it look like a toy, but after I put on the EXCELLENT Vallejo Matte, they all but disappeared. The took Microset and Microsol very well. ANd I did end up using a set of resin tires because I wanted them bulged. I still have to fight with the canopy, but its just a matter of attaching the small bits now. 

Next step, beat the shine off of it!

I showed some restraint today, and decided to do a lightly weathered aircraft, more in line with pictures I found of this squadron. So I did a light grime wash, just enough to show panel lines and a little bit of streaking. I will probably still do a little more streaking with oils after final assembly.

nOJTa1Z.jpg

DZqePqM.jpg

SlCapF8.jpg

iUDf4n8.jpg

iWFiTCg.jpg

Tm5hHLz.jpg

Wow, this is one of those unbuildable kits beat into submission, isn't it?   As many have kindly mentioned above, superb efforts on this one.  Well done.  Fantastic markings on it as well. 

Thanks for sharing this one with us.   Looks awesome. 

(I'm patiently waiting on how you'll beat the shine off this bird).  

Troy    

Seriously nice work on the decals, and all of the stencils you applied - they look great.  Nice work on the grime-wash too - just enough to take the sheen off the metal but not like the aircraft was filthy.

Keep it coming!

Chris