1/24th Scale BF-109 G-6

ruzlkampf

Oh yes, I've been waiting for this GB to start! I've had this Trumpeter 1/24th scale Gustav for over 2 years, and never got past modifying an Airfix Mustang pilot for the cockpit. :ph34r: This GB just lit the firecracker under my tail feathers to get it completed! whoohoo!

Only mod to the aircraft will be a piece of styrene on the seat to get the pilot to sit correctly, and a radio aerial wire. Sweet! Cutting Edge makes a decal sheet for my favorite '109 squadron...9/JG-54. I will be modelling either Staffel Kapitan Lt. Schillings 'yellow 1', or Obfw. Fritz Ungers 'yellow 6' or 'yellow 11'(the latter actually a G-5 in real life) These AC would have defended Berlin on 6 March, 1944...the first US heavy bombing raid on the capital. Got a book detailing this mission that sparked my imagination, so here goes;

The kit.

post-4413-1221461133.jpg

The paint-jobs I'm trying to decide between. Been flying them around digitally to decide which I like best...but it's a tough choice.

Lt. Schillings 'yellow 1'.

post-4413-1221461598.jpg

Obfw. Ungars 'yellow 6', (he was shot down by a P-47 on this mission in this AC) This has been my screen-saver for the last year.

post-4413-1221461714.jpg

Or, the dark horse candidate 'yellow 11'. Assigned to Ungar, but never flown by him. Actually a G-5, hence the 'high altitude camo', so would be technically incorrect paint job for an unmodified G-6 build.(that never stopped me from painting something I liked before. :ph34r: ) Unusual and cool paint-scheme. hmmm.

post-4413-1221462113.jpg

So it begins;.....

Can it be?!??? Russ building a kit from the box?!?? :blink: Should prove to be a nice diversion when the Flapjack is causing fits. Or when the 8 pounds of putty is curing!

Where do all your completed kits end up if you don't keep any of 'em?

Russ,

Just my 2 cents,go for the second scheme it's cooooooooool.Besides that it one not seen too often.I'll following this build with great interest.Nice boat by the way.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

"Just Another 51 Year Old Kid"

Okay!, After dusting this kit off and seeing where I was at a loooong time ago...building has re-commenced. Decided to keep things at a 'Revell' level of detail, or less. :rolleyes: By that, I mean even though this has a terrific engine screaming for detail, and sprung landing gear oleos, moveable control surfaces, ect.....it ain't happenin. Just want a fun 'looks like a '109 to me' shelf model I can varoom around the room when the fit hits me. No operating features or fragile open panels, this things gonna be built like a Russian tractor. So....!

Got all the stuff in 1/2's together like the drop tank, elevators, wings, and LG oleo legs without the springs(but still moveable). I'll glue them and the scissors at the correct loaded height when I attach them. After looking everything over, I have 3 mods I'll have to make. In keeping with the spirit of this GB, they are extremely minor.

#1- The kit comes with the wrong armor plate behind the pilots head. It's got a see-thru glass in it, and would be correct for a later canopy style. It will be replaced with a solid styrene piece.

#2- The kit comes with underwing 20mm gun-pods(which I'm leaving off) and has holes in the wing undersides that need filling.

#3- I'm going to run an antenna wire from the radio mast to the fin.

Uhmmm, that's about it! I am puting a pilot in it, but that's not really a modification to the kit, and the rules state I can use/make my own decals. I've decided to go with 'yellow 6'. Here's some pics I took taxiing by to go intercept a bomber stream to show what it'll look like(except mine will have a droptank methinks).

post-4413-1222167816.jpg

Here I am after mocking a bunch of assemblies up, and filling in the holes for the underwing 20's. Ahhh, feels good to see something besides white styrene sheets for a change! I'm no 109 expert, but I think Trumpeter pulled off a nice rivet/scribe job on this kit. Works for me!

post-4413-1222168299.jpg

As can be seen, I put everything together without pre-painting stuff like the oil-cooler or radiators. Cockpit will be painted somewhat, but I'm not going to go to town on it cause the pilot will obscure most of it, and the canopy will be closed.. Was surprised to see some vinyl brake lines included, so I guess I'll try them out. I'll be leaving out more parts than I'm adding for darn sure! :rolleyes: , but it'll still have a nice look to it.

Cockpit and pilot will be next....then zip up the fuse. This build will go pretty darn quick actually. Very nice kit.

post-4413-1222168752.jpg

Hey Graham!, This is a gorgeous kit! It just screams for some super-detailing. I've already had it all taped together to check out the fit, and it's awesome. :o I do believe the filler that I've used to cover up the cannon gondola holes is literally all that will be used!!!!! This thing clicks together as good or better than any Tamiya kit I've ever built.

Sorry I won't be doing a detailed engine, mg bays, and such(even outta the box it's sweet!), but I will try to pick out as much kit supplied detail in the cockpit as possible. Even though it won't show. :o I've been scratch-building for awhile now, and need to oil up the rust on my painting/weathering skills. This kit is perfect for that. AFAIK even the spinner has the correct profile, and it looks flipping GRAND sitting there OOB taped up! Not sure about the vinyl tires yet, but everything else looks outstanding. I'm actually planning on getting the...what is it G-10? later version of this kit cause I'm so impressed with this one. :rolleyes: Cockpit and pilot pics coming up! Later, Russ