Finished my Messerschmitt 110G-4 Comrades...

BradG

This is the old ProModeller 1/48 110G-4...and you better be somewhat of a pro modeller to put the damn thing together. I started this probably 3 years ago and since it's been sitting in the back of the model cupboard. Picking it up again, I remember why I stopped. Terrible fit and shocking undercarriage that, if fitted without modification, makes the aircraft look like it's had a gear collapse. If you are wondering, you can leave Tamiya tape on canopies for 3 years with no ill effect. I'm putting off sanding down the windscreen until I really feel like taking the chance.

What I really should have done before I started again, is pitch this into the garbage and go and get the Eduard kit....oh well...

P1010017-2.jpg

...and as I like captured aircraft, here's what it will be. I'll keep the flame dampeners on, just cos I like them and the aircraft probably had them removed, just like the lower radar antenna and guns.

Russian_110G.jpg

Edited by BradG

Interesting project Brad. Not keen to hear that the kit has issues though, as I have two of them in the stash! (Well, the G-2 version, technically.) I've heard the nacelle shape (and consequently the spinner size and shape) is inaccurate, but that probably wouldn't bother me too much. Is your chosen machine in standard Luftwaffe camo apart from the national markings?

Kev

Yeh I'm going RLM 74/75/76 and I'll pick some random colour to paint out the German markings.

I have the G-2 as well, it has exactly the same issues. Forgot to mention the terrible fit and gaps that the radiator intakes have. The spinners look a little off, the nacelles are a bit off too, but I don't really care about those things either. I'd flog the ones you have and get the Eduard kit, they aren't that expensive, about 40 bucks for the weekend editions. You'd probably get 20 bucks each for the Revell kit on ebay.

Well, the Eduard kit is not perfect too, also in regard to fitting ;)

However, indeed many examples of Revell Bf 110 Gs are badly molded.

In regard to your choice of the plane - have you seen the Swiss Bf 110 G-4? It carries quite nice and colourful markings.

Good luck!

Best,

Maciej

Ah yes, I have pictures of the Swiss one. Dad actually wanted me to build that. Also have pics of the Hungarian and Croation 110. Somewhere around here I have the Swiss Junkers 88 too I think. :)

Great start and interesting project. Although I havnt yet built one, I know I have a G-14 in the stash that will recieve a swiss scheme............

...and as I like captured aircraft, here's what it will be.

Me too. Ive always liked captured aircraft in apposing schemes. I also at some point am going to attempt an Italian Hurricane and German B Mustang

52749d1299777029t-request-italian-captured-hawker-hurricane-scan0006.jpg

p51b_g3.jpg

Good luck, and will be watching with interest. :)

Brian

Yeah, I always wanted to build the Croatian Bf 110 G-2, shame that only 1 wreck photo is available. Regarding the Hungarian Bf 110 G, do you have any photos or only the colour profiles? I've seen various profiles, but never managed to get at least one photo, which would show more than a part of the nose (excluding the training machines leased from Luftwaffe). And of course we can't forget about Romanian 110s too ;) A nice ex-ZG 1 Bf 110 G-2 with wasp marking on the nose could be also build in U.S. markings.

Maciej

I'm positive I have a pic of the Hungarian machine, I've found everything but that. Not sure if you have these;

Swiss110G.jpg

Here are the Swiss Junkers 88 and Dornier 217 along with the 110.

Capturedaircraft.jpg

The Croatian one, unfortunantly it's just like the POA Bf 109...only a busted fuselage.

Me110.jpg

...and just for Brian, the Italian Hurricane and P-51

307737456.jpg

sdfg.jpg

Found'em, but I think they are the ones you have already seen; both only show the nose and engine nacelle, but one can be seen without radar, one clearly with.

I have one more photo of Swiss machine in Swiss markings and 2 photos of the same plane in the markings of previous user (it has to be mentioned that this machine carried quite unusual camouflage).

You can contact me privately if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get some paint on it among doing other things. I've gone freehand for the camo. I figure late in the war no one is going to take the time to mask anything off. I also broke the bloody pitot tube, I think I'll replace it with a fine pin or something that won't snap off when I look at it funny.

P1010018.jpg

Looking good mate. Pitot tubes are one of my pet frustrations too. The one on my current build is made out of metal, but I've still managed to bump it enough times to work it loose, so now I have to pull it out and re-glue it. I feel your pain! Looking forward to more though.

Kev

I feel both of your pains..............my SU had SO many antennae, pitot tubes and sensors I literally cant recall how many I broke off before I started applying card stock and tape guards around them.

Looking good so far.......will look even better with decals and matt coat. :)

Brian

A little more paint and some more things put on. I found a replacement pitot in the spares box and I figure it will be easier to brush paint the antenna carefully once glued.

P1010019.jpg