1:72 U-boat bunker

LSP_K2

Didn't the "flak boats" have another deck added to the front of the conning tower with additional AAA?

J

Yes, and that's exactly what I intend to do. A lot of type VIIC's were modified to accomodate additional anti aircraft guns too, so that will be my configuration.

Kevin.. that's how it ALWAYS works! besides, doing it your way will probably be cheaper and more rewarding! or, at least you can tell yourself that! Very interested to see how this comes out. Been wanting to buy one of those 72nd scale u-boats for a long time and do a cut away with all the CMK upgrade stuff.. Man.. so many ideas, so little time!

Are you going to do the sub partially submerged? If so, what's your plan for replicating the water?

Cheers!

Jerry

Kevin.. that's how it ALWAYS works! besides, doing it your way will probably be cheaper and more rewarding! or, at least you can tell yourself that! Very interested to see how this comes out. Been wanting to buy one of those 72nd scale u-boats for a long time and do a cut away with all the CMK upgrade stuff.. Man.. so many ideas, so little time!

Are you going to do the sub partially submerged? If so, what's your plan for replicating the water?

Cheers!

Jerry

I agree; if you want something brand new, just have me (or anyone else), build one. Building my own will be more rewarding. I'll be building the bunker to fit my idea, not making my idea fit the bunker. Yes, sub will be floating; product used will be Envirotex, probably over a bed of some sort, maybe acrylic sheet.

Envirotex Polymer

Kevin, Looking good. I will be following your progress here. I always wanted to do a scene like you are doing with a U-boat. A while back Accurate Armour came out with a 1/35 scale Resin kit of a Type VIIc. It is a massive kit 74" long and it has been in the box since I bought it. I was looking at doing a partially submerge U-boat sitting in a U-boat pen. Don't have the room for a massive kit like that so was thinking of doing a 1/72 scale one for now. Keep up the good work.

Dan

Great idea with the U boat pen. I look forward to seeing it progress. I want to add a couple of hints for you in regards to the resin and pouring it

Test the polymer resin you are going to use on something else first. Resins produce a lot of heat as they cure and can melt plastic.

A helpful hint is when you mix the resin pour it straight into a ziplock bag and then you can squeeze the trap air bubbles out of it before you pour it. To pour just snip off one corner of the ziplock bag and let it flow out to the worksurface and you will have a bubble free pour.

Hope that helps you out.

Good luck with your project.

Edited by Cunumdrum61

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea with the U boat pen. I look forward to seeing it progress. I want to add a couple of hints for you in regards to the resin and pouring it

Test the polymer resin you are going to use on something else first. Resins produce a lot of heat as they cure and can melt plastic.

A helpful hint is when you mix the resin pour it straight into a ziplock bag and then you can squeeze the trap air bubbles out of it before you pour it. To pour just snip off one corner of the ziplock bag and let it flow out to the worksurface and you will have a bubble free pour.

Hope that helps you out.

Good luck with your project.

This Envirotex product seems to be self de-aerating. When I used it on my Big Boy base, all the bubbles (what there were of them), just rose to the surface and popped. I may end up using mostly acrylic gel medium anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
I would go with the gell medium as well buddy. The seawater in those pens was pretty dirty and you would not have to worry about transparency with the water at all. Just worry about the color and the surface sheen. Piece of cake. Cool dio idea

J

I'll be running down to my favorite HS Thursday, and pass right by an Art Mart on the way. I'll stop and grab some gel medium then. I'm kind of anxious to play with it to see what can be accomplished.

• 2 months later...

I decided to change gears a bit this afternoon and play with some figures and accessories I'm slowly accumulating for this effort. So far, I've bought two CMK figure sets, and I will undoubtedly be adding more. I want the bunker to look somewhat busy, so I'm guessing between ten and fifteen figures should do it.

GKRlwV.jpg

Das Boot in 3D. I'm looking forward to this.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I've changed my mind regarding the balsa foam; I'll be using 3/4" plywood or foam core instead. The roof, or at least part of it, will still be balsa foam though. More to come.

• 7 months later...

Decided I'd play some more with this today. Somehow, I've lost my scroll saw, so I can't open up areas between bays. I've also come to the determination that Balsa Foam will just be way too expensive for this, so I've opted to go with wood instead.

fNpkTw.jpg

No further progress can be made on hull until after all these holes are opened up, so I spent some time this evening doing just that. The holes above the upper torpedo tube door will (probably) be under water, so I won't bother with them at this point.

9951NQ.jpg

OLDr7x.jpg