Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

Hi Jay. Hi Iain, Thanks! Shapeways tells me my LG prints are in the mail. It's like Christmas when the parts come back. In the meantime I sand and prime or in the case of yesterday, I redo all the push rods I pulled out of the engine when trying remove the crankcase that I wanted to reglue. That's the second accident with the engine. It's possessed!  

Edited by Jim Barry

Gotta love a Bearcat. I enlisted in LSP after stumbling onto your build. I usually hang out over on Britmodeler and am redoing an old Testors F8F (amoung others). Looking forward to seeing the rest of this build.

Cheers

Dennis

Glad you found this, Dennis. Good luck with your Bearcat work. I'll go check it out.   

(edit: I'm back from Britmodeller....Wow! Great work!!!) You are really honoring the plane, perhaps more than me and hats off for all of it in 1/48. That where I had done much of my plane modeling back in the 2000s. P-43. A-36, Bf-109 C and F, F7F and a Buffalo. I retired from that scale with a Finnish Hurricane but have a Ryan Fireball on the Shelf of Doom 

Edited by Jim Barry

Gotta love a Bearcat. I enlisted in LSP after stumbling onto your build. I usually hang out over on Britmodeler and am redoing an old Testors F8F (amoung others). Looking forward to seeing the rest of this build.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey Dennis       :hi:

Hi Jim,

Tried to give a couple of “likes†on the engine and LG but no luck. I'm guessing I need to have a few more posts before I can do that.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis and Harvey. The engine is "pretty good" and very attractive, but I've just started another radial engine project (after many many more hours learning CAD) and now look at this one's shortcoming and go "shucks". It might redo it!    We'll see. As you know the limits of accuracy are not exactly bounded but at some point you have to call things "good" or you'll find yourself in a rubber room. This is especially true in CAD because you can draft  anything down to the mircon.  

As for likes, make sure you are logged in (maybe)?

Cheers,

Jim