Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, Bryan - much appreciated! I'll see what I can do based on your advice. How did you make this approach work with the black base?

Kev

Good to see you up to paint. I know you're not up to the top coats yet but the inside of the cowl ring should be painted with the underside colour, just as the main gear bays.

I think I read recently in one of Doog's blogs from a while back that while doing some testing he layed down the base silver, then hairspray, then black and the colour coat with nothing in between the two and when he did the chipping the black and the colour came off together with no evidence of black if I am making sense. IIRC he was doing these test prior to painting his 1/32 Tamiya Birdcage Corsair.

Regards,

Allan

Good to see you up to paint. I know you're not up to the top coats yet but the inside of the cowl ring should be painted with the underside colour, just as the main gear bays.

Ah, damn it! Back to the paint booth...

I think I read recently in one of Doog's blogs from a while back that while doing some testing he layed down the base silver, then hairspray, then black and the colour coat with nothing in between the two and when he did the chipping the black and the colour came off together with no evidence of black if I am making sense. IIRC he was doing these test prior to painting his 1/32 Tamiya Birdcage Corsair.

Regards,

Allan

Thanks, Allan - makes perfect sense. I'll give it a go!

Kev

Kev,

Great to see some plastic with your name on it.  I generally get the feeling that site administrators end up with little time for modelling.  Shame that getting the AM wheel wells in ruined surrounding areas.

Gaz

Thanks, Gaz. No time for modelling indeed! And this year has had a series of additional challenges that have made it all but impossible to get to the workbench (or at least feel like doing so). But time remains the biggest obstacle. I still have 2 items in the review queue to attend to, both of which will take some time (a new set of paints to test, and a book that will take me a few days to read). The average review takes a minimum of 4 hours of effort to put together, and the average What's New update is about 2 hours of effort these days. Add to that all the behind the scenes stuff, and LSP ends up soaking up an awful lot of my free time.

Still, I thrive on momentum, so I just need to work up a head of steam on this build, and I'll be able to wrap it up in short order.

Kev

OK, so I've finally been able to get some paint on this beast, starting with an overall coat of Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black, and this afternoon spent finishing off the lower surfaces, black-basing style. Now, I plan to dirty this one up more than I normally do, including some chipping on the upper wings. I have a question, though: if showing primer as well as bare metal, what colour should that primer be? Salmon, like the wheels bays, Dull Dark Green, like the cockpit, or some flavour of zinc chromate? I'm really to start laying down the upper surface colours, but really need this question answered first!

Kev

I have seen colour photos of very early birdcage Corsairs with yellow primer showing through on the top surfaces of the wings. One specific example is on the cover of Dana Bell's excellent book. I seem to recall photos of the Lake Michigan birdcage showing yellow under the blue grey and pink on a lot of other areas but those are on another computer, I can check those tomorrow.

Allan

I have seen colour photos of very early birdcage Corsairs with yellow primer showing through on the top surfaces of the wings. One specific example is on the cover of Dana Bell's excellent book. I seem to recall photos of the Lake Michigan birdcage showing yellow under the blue grey and pink on a lot of other areas but those are on another computer, I can check those tomorrow.

Allan

Thanks, Allan. That seems to be the consensus from what I gather. And I was just about to lament that I don't actually have that colour in my stash, when lo and behold, I found the exact one in the review set of the new Aqua paints that MRP sent me! So, not only do I have the colour I need, but a test subject for the review, too!

I love it when a plane comes together.

Kev

OK folks, I figure it's about time I posted some sort of photographic evidence of progress on this one, so here it is! I've begun the painting process, using the so-called 'black basing' method. I've only done the wings and lower fuselage so far, so there's still a long way to go!

B7u4u7.jpg

I've also used AK Interactive's Worn Effects for the first time, to create some multi-layered chipping on the inner sections of the upper wings:

cv9OSM.jpg

It's a bit scrappy, but that's weathering for you! It's a combination of yellow primer and bare metal, and actually looks more effective in person than in the photo. Still plenty of weathering to go yet, however.

Here's a shot of the underside:

vlCUpX.jpg

And some Worn Effects used again in the wheel bays to expose some salmon primer:

UOSf7j.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, there's still a long way to go! I haven't even started the engine, yet...

Kev

Looking great Kevin!

You've tamed this monster nicely! 

Just a piece of info I was passed to by another member. He suggested that the right wing root of the Birdcage Corsair should have more chipping as pilots used to climb from there rather than the left side.Haven't seen much photo evidence but judging from the small step on the fuselage he could have a point. 

Looking forward to seeing this done! 

Looking great Kevin!

You've tamed this monster nicely! 

Just a piece of info I was passed to by another member. He suggested that the right wing root of the Birdcage Corsair should have more chipping as pilots used to climb from there rather than the left side.Haven't seen much photo evidence but judging from the small step on the fuselage he could have a point. 

Looking forward to seeing this done! 

Around 23:30 you see a pilot climbing in from the right. Earlier in the film, there is also footage of another pilot getting out on the right. I suppose they get out on the same side they get in, so I'd say that that might be true :)

Very nice work Kevin, you certainly showed that bird who's the boss around your workbench! :)