HK Models DH Mosquito B IV

BloorwestSiR

At the risk of repeating myself, I mentioned on a previous thread that I thought that the spar caps on the upper mainplane surfaces on both this and the Tamiya Mosquito are a tad too prominent. If this much material was presented into the airflow, then it would surely cause a lot of drag. I, and I am sure many others would like to know if indeed the caps are this far into the airflow?

A very curious H.K. Mosquito owner, soon to be started (when I have the answers),

Bob

Hi Victor,

I thought you were referring to the wingtips but more I understand your question. Unfortunately I don't have the answer to that one. I haven't seen anyone else mention it so hopefully it's not an issue. I'll see if I can find anything out.

Meantime, while attempting to airbrush the Gee receiver, I managed to knock over a full bottle of Xtracrylix thinner all over my workbench and most of the cockpit parts for both kits. Thankfully there isn't any really damage but my workbench smells like an open bar so I'll have to take a break least I end up drunk from the fumes.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

At the risk of repeating myself, I mentioned on a previous thread that I thought that the spar caps on the upper mainplane surfaces on both this and the Tamiya Mosquito are a tad too prominent. If this much material was presented into the airflow, then it would surely cause a lot of drag. I, and I am sure many others would like to know if indeed the caps are this far into the airflow?

A very curious H.K. Mosquito owner, soon to be started (when I have the answers),

Bob

I think I would sand it all off, and if wanted to see some evidence of the fabric covering, just make a slight indication of this by masking the area and applying one or two coats of paint before the final paint coverage.

Thanks Carl and Albury.

I so want to get this right, I have read this about the caps on the Airfix 1/48 and Revell 1/32 scale kits and the solution was sand off the spars raised portion and to represent the caps with a decal strip of the length and width of the spars, then paint over them. I have tried to find photo's of the upper surface that show something representing a raised section of the spars, but the ones I have seen do not even show so much as a shadow that would indicate a spar cap (just to clarify, the spar cap is a strengthening  strip placed over the spars span wise). This seems to me to justify what I have read, I think it was a modellers data file published by SAMI I think? I will try to dig it out when I am at home the week after this one. In the mean time, if you or any one reading this thread can shed some light, that would be brilliant.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I took a look at my copies of the SAMI data file on the Mosquito and couldn't really see any pics that shows the wing close enough to make out the spar caps.

Looking at the two kits themselves, the HK kit has them with a very sharp delineation while they're much softer on the Tamiya kit but about the same height. I'm not sure what I'll do at the moment but you have given me something to think over.

Carl

Those textures are deliberate.

The moulds were laser etched to replicate the fabric tapes that were applied around various ports and joins.

It's a shame if you've sanded them away.

As to the textures, as well as the seem caps.......

Having literally just been within feet of both a 1:1 bomber and fighter Mossies, I can unequivocally say there are NO textures like that evident on the real thing.

Maybe it might be evident if you were within inches of it, but at a distence of approx 5 foot or so, you can see 0 evidence of any texture like AK has represented.

As to the spar caps, they are evident, but in scale, would be all but invisible I'm 32nd.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Regards the strip on the wings

This was a weather strip to stop moisture ingress into the spar.  I dont have my data on me but this was also to be applied at sqn level.  I have seen varying degrees of the 'feathering in' to be done on the edges. Some have virtually none done to the cap where others are very well blended.  Looking at the HK kit I would suggest rubbing it right back as it looks too pronounced to me as well.

Now, I better get back to work, LOL

Cheers

Anthony

Well, I am enjoying this a lot. I am learning so much about the Mosquito just reading these posts and doing a bit of research myself.

Talking of which, I have done a totally unrepresentative interweb search of images and have found photos of Mossies with visible spar caps and a lot where there is absolutely nothing to see. Possibly due to the resolution of the old photos, but I think I will be getting the sanding sticks out when I get to the wings on mine.

Wow, what a fantastic response.

Carl, I have the same sami data file as you and a few too many books on the Mosquito to mention, most of which are buried under a mountain of unused household items in my  loft and in various cubby holes around the house (I really need a bigger house/hangar).

Anthony, thanks for the photo showing the detail of the caps. the rear spar is more noticeable on this and just a tiny hint on the front spar. The aircraft next to it has slight raised area on the rear spar just above the port engine nacelle.

As a "rigger" on aluminium aircraft for 40 years and counting, I have only applied Irish linen/maplin material  over small access holes to protect them from F.O.D. entering sensitive areas. The material was no thicker than a bed sheet. Though it was noticeable in appearance full size, it would have been barely noticeable in 1/32 scale.

My thoughts are now a bit more clearer as to my own build approach, which is to sand the caps down until they are just visible. :hmmm:

Many thanks to all the reply's to my question. I have said this before on other threads on this amazing site, you guys who post your builds are truly awesome and you all inspire me to achieve a better standard than I currently am :thumbsup: for this I truly thank you.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Well, progress has slowed down a bit over the last week or so as I've had a few questions regarding the colour of some parts. Thankfully I've received the answers courtesy of Brian and others here. One thing is certain. HK could use some help with their paint instructions in that they are very general and not too detailed. I've used the detail painting instructions from the Tamiya kit to help out.

Case in point are the wheel bays. HK has you paint the entire bay interior green. Only the upper section is with the rest silver.

IMG_20150729_233133.jpg

I then assembled the MLG. After looking at the instructions, I decided to do them one at a time rather than both at once. I don't want to mix up any of the handed parts.

IMG_20150730_205945.jpg

There are quite a few more parts here and I found it a bit fiddly.I found the instructions a bit confusing but after carefully looking at the parts and the instructions I managed to figure out what everything went.

I had a hard time attaching the MLG legs to the nacelles and the ceiling of the gear bar.

There seemed to be done sort of alignment issue that was creating some twist.

IMG_20150801_230305.jpg

After taking the following pic, I noticed what the problem is.

IMG_20150801_230322.jpg

IMG_20150801_230400.jpg

I'm fairly certain that HK has the front bulkhead part numbers reversed. You can see how the top of it slopes in one direction, but the ceiling goes the other way. I double checked to see if I'd mixed them up but nope.

So at this point, I had to carefully pull everything apart. I debated leaving it but felt that it might cause further issues down the road.

IMG_20150801_230527.jpg

Thankfully it all came apart and I only broke one of the smaller struts that runs between the legs.

I swapped out the front bulkheads F2 for F3 and the fit improved significantly.

IMG_20150801_231053.jpg

Thankfully, all the messy joints you see are on the inside so won't be visible once the nacelles are attached.

Carl