HK Models 1:32 DH Mosquito B.Mk.IV, DZ637

JamesHatch

By no means am I pulling this build down because it's a stunner but just want to point out that the spinners should be ocean grey. 

I don't think so for DZ637. Originally it was coded differently and had black undersides. When the machine was converted to a cookie machine, it appears the spinners retained the black they had from the earlier scheme.

...but I could be wrong.

Edited by JamesHatch

I don't think so for DZ637. Originally it was coded differently and had black undersides. When the machine was converted to a cookie machine, it appears the spinners retained the black they had from the earlier scheme.

...but I could be wrong.

James

It could be that you are correct about the spinner colour. I've had a look through the books and photos that I was given from my mate's after his death.  I have found a photo in one of the books of DZ637. This was taken when she was with 692sq and coded P3-C. The camouflage was Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Night (black) with red codes. She had been converted to carry a 4,000 lb bomb while with 692q.

After 46 sorties, she was transfered to 627sq coded AZ-O. Repaired after battle damage ( 29 August to 12 December 1944 ) she was recoded AZ-X. Lost after 11 sorties with 627sq.

There are also photos of a couple of other 627sq aircraft with black spinners, also what could be sky spinners as they appear to be a lot lighter than Ocean Grey.

It's possible that it's a 'I'll paint them black and you prove me wrong moment'.

Edited by Monty Python

James

It could be that you are correct about the spinner colour. I've had a look through the books and photos that I was given from my mate's after his death.  I have found a photo in one of the books of DZ637. This was taken when she was with 692sq and coded P3-C. The camouflage was Ocean Grey/Dark Green over Night (black) with red codes. She had been converted to carry a 4,000lb'er while with 692q.

After 46 sorties, she was transfered to 627sq coded AZ-O. Repaired after battle damage ( 29 August to 12 December 1944 ) she was recoded AZ-X. Lost after 11 sorties with 627sq.

There are also photos of a couple of other 627sq aircraft with black spinners, also what could be sky spinners as they appear to be a lot lighter than Ocean Grey.

It's possible that it's a 'I'll paint them black and you prove me wrong moment'.

Cheers for the info. I knew about the P3-C, but not all of the other stuff. :) I'd like to know more about the demise of this one.

The only other info I can find at the moment is at 1714hrs on 01/02/1945, DZ637 took off on it's 11th mission with 627sq. She was shot down over it's target which was Steigen. Pilot, Flt Lt Baker and Nav, Sgt Betts were killed. Both buried in the Reichswald war cemetery.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Monty Python

The only other info I can find at the moment is at 1714hrs on 01/02/1945, DZ637 took off on it's 11th mission with 627sq. She was shot down over it's target which was Steigen. Pilot, Flt Lt Baker and Nav, Sgt Betts were killed. Both buried in the Reichswald war cemetery.

Hope this helps.

MANY thanks!! I feel a little closure on this one now. Very, very sad though.

That is lovely, I just hope that I can afford one!

Cheers

Tony

PS- I have seen some of the Mossies from this unit wearing day colours and with black spinners in some wartime colour footage. 

Edited by Big Tony

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...