DONE AT LAST! 1:48 Mauve P-40N "Lope's Hope"

KUROK

I have it. Don't bother. It doesn't hold all that large of tires, and its a complete PITA.   As Jennings mentioned, two fingers and a sanding stick straight razor  blade can have an even flatter flat spot made in a matter of a couple minutes. 

I found a low cost alternative to Aves Apoxie.  It is at DIY stores.  It works just like Apoxie but is less dense.  It may need a primer coat as it is coarse compared to Apoxie.

34841862773_951a609774_c.jpg

34841847283_e5b9ebf3fe_c.jpg

Now, I should quit farting around and get back to work on my model but here is an experiment with using real foil for NMF.  What do you think?

34841829223_ed4ab55301_c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As usual, life stuff keeping me off the bench.

However, I'm working in small doses when I can.

This was supposed to be a quick "out of the box" kit to get my juices flowing...but I cannot help myself.

I added some missing surface detail to the spinner.  Six screws indicated on one line and four on the other like the real thing.

35850783270_22708f6e57_c.jpg

Terrific detailing on the warhawk, never saw a Mauve kit build, this is a great opportunity to learn about it. 

Is there a 1/32 Decal sheet for the Lope's Hope, I was looking for it without success. Cheers  :piliot:

Maurice, thanks for comments.

I have not seen a 1/32 version of Lope's Hope but perhaps we could ask, Jennings Heilig.

I think he may have access to Fundekals and he might do it.

The only thing that is worrying me about decals is the shark mouth.  I'm wondering how to get it around that complex cowling successfully.

I need to add a receiving tube for my prop/brass rod set up.

First temporarily join spinner to one fuselage half like so:

36102907332_837b2344b3_c.jpg

Then use a bit of nylon thread to ensure perfect left/right alignment of tube:

36228736496_0b5064fa3d_c.jpg

Now, I have gently laid some bits of sprue on the "ass" end of the tube.  They have been set with gap filling superglue and I had to dab, gently, some accelerator:

36136422781_5d6fc38b38_c.jpg

Here I have slopped on some 30 minute clear epoxy.  Note I have added a peg to the front end of the tube but it is only glued to the fuselage at this time and NOT the tube.

I'll explain why later:

35875533270_72379fe83a_c.jpg

Here is a view of the epoxy setting up.  Five minute epoxy would have been better.

35437285604_6a2ce84b58_c.jpg

Setting up trying to get the epoxy to drip down with gravity.  Did I mention five minute epoxy would have been better?

BTW, this will be much stronger than it needs to be.

36228740826_0a19bfe7cf_c.jpg

• 1 month later...